Copy bug : it's total commander or windows 7 64bit?

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

miloso

Copy bug : it's total commander or windows 7 64bit?

Post by *miloso »

Hi!
I was using total commander 7.56a on windows 7 32bit to copy from hd to usb device and works fine

Then i try to use on windows 7 64 bit on 2 different pc with different hardware ( amd and intel)
to copy files from hard disk to usb device and i have problems

Every file start copy fast ( 90, 100k,60kb speed for usb2 transfer)
than when reach 99% its stops for 1/2 minuts then start to copy next file
More the file is big more time stop at 99%

It's a windows 7 64bit bug or total commander bug?

The pc works fine when i copy and if i copy form hard disk to hard disk (internal) there is not this problem

Any idea?

I use the standard metod copy of total commander
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Hi miloso,

The first thing I think of when you say "99%" is an anti-virus scanner. I doubly think that when you say the bigger the file, the longer it takes. I have the same issue with downloads in my browser - the moment the file finishes (gets to 99% - this is the point at which the file is actually finally written to disk in a form the anti-virus scanner recognises, and it is the same with file copies in a file manager), my anti-virus kicks in and starts to scan it, and the transfer doesn't complete from the browser until the anti-virus has finished with it. If the download is small, the scan is usually quick. If the download is large, the scan can lock up my browser for quite some time.

So that is the first thing I would check - any anti-virus or other security software on the PC's you have trouble with. It should be easy to rule this in or out as the problem - if there is such software on the PC, disable it, and then do a file copy that you know you have had the problem with. If the copy works fine, you've solved the problem. If the copy still is problematic, then it probably isn't the security software.

Regards,

CM
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

It sometimes happen with fast source and slow destination. I'm not sure about exact conditions required (copy method, etc..). When copying starts, the file gets read very fast in memory buffer and TC shows completely unrealistic transfer speed that target device just couldn't handle even in its wildest dreams. ;)
When the file is very large, the speed then goes slowly down to real transfer speed, because new data can be read only in same amount as old data are removed from buffer. When the end of file is reached before the speed stabilizes, then there's this what seems like a pause at the end, it's waiting for the remaining data in buffer to be pushed to target device.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's a disk cache problem, the Windows copy function CopyFileEx sometimes reports wrong progress when the system writes the data to a cache first.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
miloso

Post by *miloso »

I understand.And the solution is ?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is no solution, you just need to be patient until Windows has fully written the data from the cache to the file.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Hi ghisler, I'd like to revive this topic. I know you probably can't do anything about the inaccurate progress reporting. However the most annoying thing is, that during this 99% stage, TC is unresponsive.

When I copy files in the foreground, main window stops responding, when I copy files in the background, BTM's window stops responding. Also when I want to add some file operations to the queue while BTM is frozen, both windows freeze. After a while, when the file is finally written to disk, everything works as if nothing happened (at least until the next 99% stage).

Is there anything that could be done about this irritating behavior?
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, umbra.

As Total Commander 7.56a will stay as it is, you might give Total Commander 8.0ß16 a try, 32-bit and/or 64-bit, and find out whether the problem is still reproducible.

Kind regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

As Total Commander 7.56a will stay as it is, you might give Total Commander 8.0ß16 a try, 32-bit and/or 64-bit, and find out whether the problem is still reproducible.
Actualy I am using TC 8.0 - when I replied to this topic, for some reason I though it was in the English section, not in 7.56 bug reports.
However TC 8.0 x32 (also x64) behaves the same way as 7.56 so the problem still exists.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I do not have this problem with any drives when using the standard copy method (where most of the copy options are disabled) or the Explorer copy method. You may try one of these.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Hi, those settings are irrelevant to my problem (I tried them). This is not a bug in TC. Even Explorer has this problem - if I try to cancel the operation during the 99% phase, it will show a running progress bar and a message, that it is canceling the operation.

The point is, that (unlike in TC) only this window is temporarily blocked while the rest of Explorer works fine. What I am asking is whether you could (in some future version) rewrite copy function so TC would still be responsive while waiting for confirmation that the file was successfully written (or whatever is TC waiting for).

So I guess this is more of a suggestion than a bug report.
hojo

Post by *hojo »

The problem is not on computers where the internal hdd read write is similar to the external usb drive.
With the more modern sandy bridge 8 cores and the usb 3 ports the internal reading often triples in speed until the buffer is full and connected to an usb 2 port the writing is back to the usual speed and we have a a bottle neck where any input is blocked.
This is particular vexing if you have a lot of files to copy and you use the queue function.
The only workaround so far is, pause the queue until all files are in the queue.
Disabling internal HDD cashing has no influence on this problem
hojo

Post by *hojo »

I found 2 other solutions as workarounds.
- copy / move everything with queue (F2) and activate speed limit.
works well with 17000 to 20000 but this might differ from computer to computer.
- in Options - Copy/delete - deactivate "use standard copy method" and activate "also use big file copy mode"

A question to Mr.Ghisler
Is there a way to permanently activate a speed limit?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, put

SpeedLimitEnabled=1
and
AlwaysCopyInBackground=1

in wincmd.ini section [Configuration].
razvitm

mem stick copy problem

Post by *razvitm »

I have the same problem but only on ntfs usb mem sticks, on fat32 the problem does not occur