Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Strange tabstops adjusting

Post by *MVV »

This works 100% on 1280x1024.

1. Delete wincmd.ini (or rename AFTER closing TC).
2. Start TC, set font Tahoma, bold, 10.
3. Go to Tabstops configuration and enter positions 160, 230, 240, 320, 150 and UNCHECK options to adjust tabstops width.
4. Maximize window.
5. Go to Tabstops configuration and CHECK options to adjust tabstops width. Click OK to see weird tabstops in panels. Why TC haven't remembered that tabstop positions were 160, 230, 240, 320, 150 when I enabled adjusting? Such behaviour is perfectly confusing.

Also confusing things are:

1. TC doesn't remember in INI panel width for which it remembers tabstop positions - so it can't adjust them for another window sizes correctly.
2. Tabstops are depend on choosen font - I doubt that someone wants to autochange tabstop values when he/she changes font.
3. TC allows to set tabstops, but it would be much more convenient to set column widths: if window width is changed, only first field will change because TC doesn't change widths of other columns.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

I don't see any bug here, TC just act as expected, in step #3 you set tabstp position and unchecked "auto adjust tabstops width" so TC leave the tabstops width alone, in step #4 you changed TC main window width by maximizing it, in step #5 you checked "auto adjust tabstops width", so TC actually did what you asked for and adjust tabstops according to its current main window size, that's all.

2. Tabstops are depend on choosen font - I doubt that someone wants to autochange tabstop values when he/she changes font.
I cannot confirm this, in your above steps you can skip the step #2 and you will got the same result
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

ts4242 wrote:I don't see any bug here, TC just act as expected, in step #3 you set tabstp position and unchecked "auto adjust tabstops width" so TC leave the tabstops width alone, in step #4 you changed TC main window width by maximizing it, in step #5 you checked "auto adjust tabstops width", so TC actually did what you asked for and adjust tabstops according to its current main window size, that's all.
Lets do step 5 as separate step, w/o thinking about previous steps. Firstly try to do the following steps:
5a. Go to Tabstops configuration and CHECK options to adjust tabstops width. Don't close window or apply changes!
5b. Modify every tabstop value by increasing and then decreasing it. And then click OK. You will NOT get same result as in my step 5. When you open dialog again, you see same numbers.

Is it logical that tabstops that ARE THERE are lost if you don't touch them but only check checkbox and click OK?

When user checks such checkbox he expects that TC will treat currently present values for actual window size, he doesn't expect that values will change immediately!! If I see 160 for Name column and I think that it is good value, I check checkbox to save theese values for actual window size, not for some previous one!
ts4242 wrote:I cannot confirm this, in your above steps you can skip the step #2 and you will got the same result
YES, but you get COMPLETELY another physical (in pixels) column widths. Also, try to change font face/size and then open tabstop cfg dialog - you will see another numbers! Do you expect to see something other than 160 if you set 160 and then change font from default to e.g. Tahoma, bold, 10?
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

MVV wrote:Is it logical that tabstops that ARE THERE are lost if you don't touch them but only check checkbox and click OK?
This is happen ONLY if the main window width has changed between opening config dialog.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

And you think it is correct? Is it correct that user should take some third reasons into account? IMHO if user clicks OK in dialog, he accepts CURRENT dialog settings. It is WRONG to change something NOT according to settings that user have seen in dialog while clicking OK.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

MVV wrote:And you think it is correct? Is it correct that user should take some third reasons into account? IMHO if user clicks OK in dialog, he accepts CURRENT dialog settings. It is WRONG to change something NOT according to settings that user have seen in dialog while clicking OK.
It is correct (for me), when you check the option "Adjust Tabs to window size", you simply say "Please TC take care of these tab values instead of me!", so why you back and complain of that.