Dragging files during background operation

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Soul--Reaver

Dragging files during background operation

Post by *Soul--Reaver »

If i have a background operation running (like a copy or a move) and i'm dragging files using the left or right mouse button (i often use the right mouse button) in the main window, a problem arises if the background operation pops up a message to, for example, overwrite a file.

This message box pops up in the main window and if my cursor was still in the process of dragging files, its not possible to answer the question to the message box.

This effectively causes a stalemate where i'm not able to use the main window and also not able to answer the question in the messagebox. Nothing i do allows me to continue using total commander untill i forcefully terminate the process and restart it
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately I don't see any way to prevent that. What you can do is pause the background operation if this is a big problem for you.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Soul--Reaver

Post by *Soul--Reaver »

Their are enough workarounds available. That was never the issue

A shame you don't know solution.

Personally i was thinking of 2 solutions.
1. Make the messagebox pop up as part of the background window that produced it, instead of the main window
2. Before a messagebox is shown cancel any mouse dragging in process

Whether either of these are possible i don't know. But maybe it will give you some ideas

Case closed
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Have you tried to answer message box question via keyboard?
Tab to choose, Space to confirm?

BTW overwrite dialog is NOT blocked for me, I can easilly choose any action via mouse or keyboard (overwrite, skip, append etc). But drag operation is aborted (however mouse plays nice selection game in main window until I close overwrite dialog).
Soul--Reaver

Post by *Soul--Reaver »

Keyboard focus is in the main window from the part where i was dragging files from. I did not succeed in changing focus using the keyboard to the messagebox

But will try to see if i can get you some more info

Update: Checked it. The left mouse button drags work properly, no problems answering the messagebox their. Its right mouse button dragging thats is causing problems.

Small good thing though. The space bar does work apparently (the only one that does in the messagebox window). So i can continue properly as long as i don't mind overwriting the destination file as i cannot select a different action in the messagebox.

But it is kind of funny that left and right mouse button have different effects