Open files from LAN

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

PozitronCZ

Open files from LAN

Post by *PozitronCZ »

On a desktop PC, there's possible to open a file from a network drive directly without saving this file on the HDD. As same as a video, it may be openned from network like it's stored on local drive (with bigger latency of course). But on the Android, there's this using TC (LAN plugin) impossible. I must dowload the file first on the internal memory and then is it able to open it. Is there any chance to opening files directly from network drives?
Sorry for my bad English :(
mdalacu

Post by *mdalacu »

You need a the cifs module for your kernel in order to do that, otherwise you need do use an F M that is capable of streaming media files.
Martyx

Post by *Martyx »

I don't know, if I have cifs module (stock htc evo 3d kernel), but es file explorer has this function, so I think, it's possible. It is the last and only function in TC, I'm missing...
Softcell

Streaming Network Files

Post by *Softcell »

Since a few days now I'm using Android on my ASUS Transformer Prime and ICS 4.0.3 with the TC and the LAN Plugin. Like the starter of this topic I'm able to copy/move/delete network files but can't directly stream them for immediate use. Being not a software dev. (no clue what was meant with a "cif module for your kernel") I like to know if or when this function might be implemented into the TC or a corresponding plug-in or if there is another simple Android App allowing me to access & stream the network files instantly?

In every other regard the TC is great and knowing him from Windows since such a long time (ok. I start with the Norton Commander under DOS 3.31 etc.) I'm so much used to the comfortable software design that I'm really excited to tweak it as good as possible.

Thanks,
Roland in Berlin
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I can't say when I will add it, I'm still trying to figure out how this should be done, e.g.
- an internal media player within TC
- a small Web server within the plugin sending the data to any player
- a small Web server within Total Commander
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
HaPe

alternative player

Post by *HaPe »

Try DicePlayer from the market. It is able to play directly from LAN drives. And it has great capabilities of different formats. (MKV, AVI, MP4, MP3....)
[x] nail here for new monitor
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

How do you pass a LAN the URL to it?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
HaPe

Post by *HaPe »

I use DicePlayer not from within TotalCommander.

Dice has its own LAN interface, you choose SMB server and type in the name or IP of the computer. Then you are able to connect to shared drives. A directory and file browser is integrated. So DICE is not really a solution for TotalCommander. But it is a nice completion.

For sure it would be the best if TotalCommander could pass a LAN file path to Dice. But i do have now clue whether this is possible.
[x] nail here for new monitor