[Feature Request] Quick search on current dir

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Xtrician

[Feature Request] Quick search on current dir

Post by *Xtrician »

I thought about something like the quick search in TC for desktop, when the user click on button the keyboard will open and when he click some letter that start in the beginning of the file it will go there.
Elad
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

That's a good idea to add a button! Btw, quick search already exists and works if you have a really old Android phone with a menu button, e.g. the HTC Desire: Just press the menu button a bit longer to open the keyboard for quick search. Unfortunately it doesn't work on Android 4.x, even on devices with a true menu button like the Samsung Galaxies...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Xtrician

Post by *Xtrician »

I understand. Button is good too. :)
Elad
CITYGUY

Post by *CITYGUY »

1. Believe it or not, I just wanted to crate a topic for the same thing!

I absolutely love this idea and support it! Thanks for posting about it!

I call this Filter Function! Or Quick Filter. This "button" idea could open a small writing field, or even without such a small writing field just pop up the keyboard and simply by starting typing of letters the file list could jump to the next match. Awesome!

May be add a button to jump to/search for files or folder names "starting with" the typed symbols or "containing" the typed sequence of symbols. Or may be if you start typing with the "*" symbol it could do the same job, as it is on TC on my PC.

Please, make this possible! This will improve the functionally and capabilities of this amazing app.

2. I don't want to open a new topic as it might have been discussed already anyway in this forum, so I'll mention it here (sorry if wrong):

Ability to select multiple files or folders by sliding up and/or down with your finger over the area of the icons of these files or folders (over the left side of the lists). You slide over a few of them, then go gown or up the list, then slide over a few more somewhere else and this way you select multiple ones way quicker. You still tap on the icon for selection of a single one and continue to slide to select additional groups of them. Same way to deselect one or a few of them to correct a group selection and exclude one or a few ones from the already selected groups.

I hope you know what I mean.
There was an old file explorer back in the in Winmo days for me, which was called "Resco", I think. That one had this same functionality and it was working great making multiple selections like this.

3. Could you add in file properties a section displaying the MD5? This would always go with additional empty field next to it for pasting for comparison. That's how I have it on my PC in the file properties tab and I sure hope your work will one day bring us this amazing option here, in TC for Android as well.

I want to say that TC is number one! Absolutely the best! And I thank you for it! These are the only 3 things that I'm craving for!
Thank you again!
emo

Post by *emo »

ghisler(Author) wrote:That's a good idea to add a button! Btw, quick search already exists and works if you have a really old Android phone with a menu button, e.g. the HTC Desire: Just press the menu button a bit longer to open the keyboard for quick search. Unfortunately it doesn't work on Android 4.x, even on devices with a true menu button like the Samsung Galaxies...
Hi.
It is not quite clear.
Is there such function (quick search) in Android 4.x version or no?
What doesn't work? Quick search (at all) or calling quick search by pressing of button? Is that not possible to have quick search for Android 4.x?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The beta has it: Create a new button of type "internal command", with command Nr. 134: Keyboard for quick search.
emo

Post by *emo »

Ok.
But should quick search work only for local files (on the phone or SD card)?
It seems doesn't work for network folder (with Lan (Windows shares) plugin).
Also it doesn't work for non Latin names of files (tried for Russian names).
CITYGUY

Post by *CITYGUY »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The beta has it: Create a new button of type "internal command", with command Nr. 134: Keyboard for quick search.
This button is great. Thank you!

I'd like to have the option to add more buttons on the first row.

My second row is filled with buttons, but the first row is only half full and the rest is wasted space.

I mean in portrait mode when there are 2 rows of buttons. I also use dpi changing App Settings in Xposed and this space on the firstrow is even larger. Could be good to be able to use it too.
emo

Post by *emo »

Hi.
I have tested with the last (beta) versions of TC (2.05b5) and LAN plugin (2.07 b7). Searching is working now. But I believe there are some bugs.
1. History of b5 beta says
"2014-08-31 Fixed: Quick search not always showing focused item"
But there is still such problem for LAN. It seems works properly with local storage.
2. Typing "space" in quick search mode doesn't handled correctly. It acts as "select" of file / folder. Not as part of search.
But number of selected files (at the right upper corner) is not being changed. It changes (being decreased) after deselection of file. And as a result we have negative number of selection.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2. This is intentional for users with real keyboards: Space is select, and numbers are file operations similar to Desktop TC!
emo

Post by *emo »

ghisler(Author) wrote:2. This is intentional for users with real keyboards: Space is select, and numbers are file operations similar to Desktop TC!
No, it is not similar to desktop.
In desktop "space" selects file but in quick search mode we can type "space" for search string (when editbox is shown). And "space" doesn't select file.
Here we have different behavior.
"space" selects file/folder in quick search mode also.
And number of selected is not increasing ( =0).
Look at the upper corner where number of selected / total is shown.
When we are removing selection number of selected is decreasing and becomes negative.
mrle

Re: [Feature Request] Quick search on current dir

Post by *mrle »

If on the keyboard, called with the command 154 (for quick search), click on the letter A - cursor jumps to the first folder/file on the list whose name begins with A.
... And that's all of the functionality?

There is no function/command/parameter/letter... that the cursor jumps to the next folder/file whose name begins with the letter A?
Or by typing AN on the keyboard, the cursor jumps to the "Android" folder?
Or jump on the "Android" folder by typing *dro* on keyboard?

If the cursor jumps to only one (first) folder/file with just the first (initial) letter - then this feature is pretty useless in a situation where a panel is sorted by date/time or by size?
In fact, this function has some meaning only if the panel is sorted by name?
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2mrle
You can configure Quick search behavior in desktop TC. Do you want to have similar options for Android TC?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
mrle

Post by *mrle »

^

Quick search as in TotalCmd for Windows (matching more letters, using "*", hiding the other folders/files... etc), of course, would be great. And, I think...

- click on the letter S = cursor jumps to the first folder/file on the list which name begins with S
- second ckick on the letter S = cursor jumps to the second folder/file on the list which name begins with S
- third click on the letter S = cursor jumps to the third folder/file on the list which name begins with S
- etc.

... would be a minimum usable functionality.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Currently it just looks for the first folder starting with the typed characters. The typed characters are forgotten (reset) after a few seconds.