Can you transfer files from a tablet to external hdd

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Nfuller785

Can you transfer files from a tablet to external hdd

Post by *Nfuller785 »

OK so probably a very obvious question, however I have searched through goggle, the wiki how and various forum posts and I cannot find the answer.

I have a samsung galaxy tab s with TC installed, the model is a sm-t700 with android version 5.0.2 and kernel dated 3rd Dec 2015. I have successully rooted my device and I can copy files from my external hdd to my tablet. However when it comes to transferring files from tablet to hdd, the hdd does not appear as a directory for selecting to move files to.

Whilst not a total idiot I have pretty much maxed out my knowledge on this, and to most of you this is ridiculously simple, so if you could just give me any advice that would be very helpful.

Many thanks for any input

N.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Are you using a plugin to access the harddisk? If yes, you need to open it in the second panel of Total Commander. Just swipe sideways, go to the plugin, swipe back and copy the files.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Nfuller785

Write error message

Post by *Nfuller785 »

Thanks for the reply,

I understand what you mean by swiping from the source screen to the target screen and it works fine copying files from my ext hdd to my tablet.

However when I try and move or copy files from my tablet to ext hdd it just comes up with a write error

'Error writing to target file' with the target address listed below it.

I am using a samsung galaxy tab s with an otg cable that is split so that you can provide power to the ext hdd and plug it into the tablet. The ext hdd itself is a 1tb samsung and I have total commander and 'paragon ums' installed. When I mount the ext hdd I have selected 'enable write mode' in the paragon programme.

The tablet is rooted as I thought that would help.

I really appreciate the help but if you habe any further advice that would be great as I am going away for three months and my hdd will be my only source of entertainment!

Thanks

Nick
whytea

Post by *whytea »

Hi Nick,

Out of curiosity, I tried the same thing with my 1TB HDD with Mr. Ghisler's instructions. File copy from phone to HDD worked for me (in both directions in fact).

/WhyTea
Nfuller785

Post by *Nfuller785 »

Morning whytea,

I eventually got it to work but not using the Paragon NFTS plugin that I had originally been using. I had been doing the correct process and could copy from my HDD to my tablet but not vice versa. Instead I used a different TC USB plugin that I found on the app store and it worked first time.

I have absolutely no idea why it worked with a different plugin but there you go.

Regards,

N.
Pravash Chatterjee

Re: Can you transfer files from a tablet to external hdd

Post by *Pravash Chatterjee »

Please help me with the name of that plug in app.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Can you transfer files from a tablet to external hdd

Post by *JOUBE »

Pravash Chatterjee wrote: 2020-06-09, 11:18 UTC Please help me with the name of that plug in app.
Try this page: https://www.ghisler.com/androidplugins/googleplay/