Cannot access NTFS external hard drive due to "Write protected!"

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ToastyMoasty

Cannot access NTFS external hard drive due to "Write protected!"

Post by *ToastyMoasty »

Hello, I'm very new to all this, so please go easy on me.

I want to access my external hard drive through my android device (Samsung Galaxy S8), so I tried connecting it and I could not access it unless I reformatted it. I have about ~200 gigabytes of valuable data on the hard drive, so I reformatting it is out of the question. I found my way to Total Commander and installed it. When I plug the external hard drive in, and it shows up in the starting menu, and I click on it, it shows a popup that says "Write protected! On Android >=5 the external SD card is write protected. You need to choose the directory from a special Android dialog to give Total Commander write rights. In the next dialog, please go to the root of the external SD-card and click on the button at the bottom, 'Select'!". After I click YES, the Android Dialog shows up, and on the side menu, the external hard drive name does not show up. My phone shows up, my SD card shows up, and the Paragon File System thing that I installed off the play store shows up as well. When I select the Paragon File System, it takes me back to the app and another popup shows that says "Getting directory From: ///_externalhardrivename/" forever. It's been going for about an hour now. Am I doing something wrong? What should I do access the files on it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Cannot access NTFS external hard drive due to "Write protected!"

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Without special apps Android can't handle NTFS formated drives.
Search in the Google Play Store
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64