Total Commander 3.0 beta 1 for Android is available now!

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

guent peer

Re: Total Commander 3.0 beta 1 for Android is available now!

Post by *guent peer »

My phone (Samsung Galaxy S9) was upgraded to Android Pie a short time ago. Since then the music player appears no longer in the foreground (except if I choose "play in the foreground") and there is no way (at least none that I know) to bring it in the foreground again once I switch programs (the symbol that was there under android 8 has vanished). Probably this has to do with the changed handling of background programs?
Cvulturbo

Post by *Cvulturbo »

Thank you for the awesome work.

Two things:

1. when I select Undo last operation and then - click Start. It gives error: Rename failed!. Because list did not know that undo was done.

2. For testing multi-rename i created some files in /tmp and changed mode to 666 . (owner:group of files = root:root). but multi-rename did not want to rename until i changed user:group of files to TC:TC. Rename single file function in this case works fine.

mode of /tmp = 777
mode of files = 666

should work in any case, but it does not if files belong root.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2guent peer
Please check in the Android settings - Apps whether Total Commander is allowed to show notifications. If not, you need to allow them. The player is using a notification while in the background. This does work fine on Pie, at least in the emulator.

2Cvulturbo
1. Indeed you need to close and re-open the rename tool after an undo.

2. Multi-rename doesn't currently support any root functions. Single rename does.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
guent peer

Post by *guent peer »

@Christian Ghisler: Many thanks, but Total Commander is allowed to show notifications. The problem is, it does nevertheless no longer show a notification since the switch to Android Pie.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I cannot confirm that.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

guent peer wrote: 2019-02-14, 19:53 UTC My phone (Samsung Galaxy S9) was upgraded to Android Pie a short time ago. Since then the music player appears no longer in the foreground (except if I choose "play in the foreground") and there is no way (at least none that I know) to bring it in the foreground again once I switch programs (the symbol that was there under android 8 has vanished). Probably this has to do with the changed handling of background programs?
My Samsung S8 was also updated to Pie but there are no such problems.
The player starts in foreground and I can easy switch to it when its running in the background.
I just swipe from the top to show the notifications and tap the TC player entry to get it into the foreground.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

One thing to consider is that there are now two separate switches for notifications:
1. A general on/off switch for all notifications of an app
2. A separate switch for each notification group. Total Commander 3 supports two notification groups:
- TC Media Player
and
- File Operations

The former is for the player controls, and the latter for a progress notification when switching to a different app while TC is busy with some file operation (packing, copying). The latter also gives you detailed control, like showing in the status bar, on the lock screen etc.

Please make sure that both the general notification switch and the switch for "TC Media Player" are enabled.
guent peer

Post by *guent peer »

Many thanks for not giving up on me, I really appreciate this ("windows commander" was the first shareware I decided to spend money on and never regretted this. This had to be said!)!

If you talk about the switch under "Einstellungen/Klänge/Musik" (sorry, don't know the proper english translation), I found that yesterday and activated it, unfortunately without change. I still can operate the background musicplayer on the lock screen or via my watch, and I can get in in the foreground by adding mp3-files via "play in the foreground", so there are workarounds... ;-)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, I don't mean that. It should be under Einstellungen/Settings - Apps - Apps - Total Commander - Benachrichtigungen/Notifications.
And it's in Android settings, NOT Total Commander settings!
veatroub

Total Commander 3.0 beta 1 issues

Post by *veatroub »

Hello, Christian.
Here are several problems I have on rooted phone with TC v3.0b1:
  1. Owner and "UID" button in file properties are not visible. If I select multiple files, then they become visible, but upon clicking "Apply" toast with "Permission denied" appears. I think that the cause of error is in wrong "setuidgid" command syntax. On my system it comes from BusyBox v1.28.3-meefik and should be called as "setuidgid USER PROG ARGS" (it tries to launch program with the name of second argument, which is actually a gid). TC v2.91 works fine.
  2. Both TC v2.91 and v3.0b1 have strange scaling of custom icons on buttons from button panel. I have 72x72 png images with text labels on them and after selecting them as an image of button they look sharp, but after restarting TC they look a little bit scaled down and ugly. Archive with original icon, icon from baricon-file and with screenshot. TC v2.90 displays icons fine.
And has the file search algorithm for files with whitespaces in name change? Let's say I have "my file.txt". I remember searching such files with "*my file*" pattern, but now it returns empty result list, while "*my*file*" finds this file. It's not a big deal, but sometimes such patterns give unwanted extra results. Is it a bug, or how should I search for files with whitespaces?
Thanks!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. TC doesn't call external program for that, it calls its own internal tool. Is your device rooted? Is it 64-bit?

2. That's odd, 2.91 should actually do better scaling than 2.90.
veatroub

Post by *veatroub »

2ghisler(Author)
I have stock 5.1.1 with root on phone with 32-bit SoC. In TC settings option "root functions everywhere" is enabled.
Here is SuperSU log for v2.91:

Code: Select all

/data/data/com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander/lib/libtcmadmin21.so /cat /proc/mounts
<contents of /proc/mounts file>
+-++--+++---++++
/data/data/com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander/lib/libtcmadmin21.so /setuidgid 1000 1001 "/data/data/com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander/files/baricon0"
+-++--+++---++++
/data/data/com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander/lib/libtcmadmin21.so /setuidgid 1000 1001 "/data/data/com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander/files/baricon1"
+-++--+++---++++
exit
For v3.0b1:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/mounts
cat "/data/data/com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander/temp/donotdelete.txt"
<contents of /proc/mounts file>
+-++--+++---++++
setuidgid 1000 1001 "/data/data/com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander/files/baricon0"
setuidgid: can't execute '1001': Permission denied
+-++--+++---++++
setuidgid 1000 1001 "/data/data/com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander/files/baricon1"
setuidgid: can't execute '1001': Permission denied
+-++--+++---++++
exit
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

aparently executing the program libtcmadmin21.so fails on your device, so TC tries to call the system tool setuidgid.
The question is why does libtcmadmin21.so fail? Is this phone using ARM or X86 or MIPS?
veatroub

Post by *veatroub »

2ghisler(Author)
It's ARMv7 Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I was wrong, you were right! Apparently the tcmadmin21.so executable was built with the old non-relocatable format, which only works on API level 20 and older. The new position independend executable is supported on Android API 16 and newer, and required on API 21 (Android 5).

Please contact me by e-mail to support at ghisler dot com for a new test version!