Total Commander 3.0 beta 1 for Android is available now!

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Total Commander 3.0 beta 1 for Android is available now!

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Total Commander3.0 beta 1 for Android is available now! You can get it from the Play Store:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander
or directly from here:
https://www.ghisler.com/tcbeta.apk

I made some big changes in this beta:
  • Unpack rar5, 7z, tar, gz, z, bz2, arj, lzh, iso, img, cab in addition to zip and rar, using the 7zip library
  • Multi-rename tool: To use it, select at least one file or folder
  • Compare by content (via context menu): Select exactly 2 files
  • Help: Search for text
  • 64-bit versions of the used native libraries
  • Split the apk in separate releases for arm, arm-v7, arm64, x86, x86-64, mips
  • The direct download is the combined apk for all processor types
  • And of course many bugfixes, see history2.txt
This new release requires Android 2.2 or newer (API 8).

Please try the new version if you can!
Author of Total Commander
http://www.ghisler.com
Last edited by white on 2022-12-18, 15:33 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Disabled smileys for this post, because (API 8) was partly displayed as a smiley
https://www.ghisler.com
DrPsyche

Re: Total Commander 3.0 beta 1 for Android is available now!

Post by *DrPsyche »

Hi

I've just downloaded Total Commander 9.21a and planning to get Total Commander on my Android too. Is this version only for the testing purposes?

Thanks,
Steve

Spam in Signature > User is banned now.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-01-09, 10:25 UTC Total Commander3.0 beta 1 for Android is available now!
I made some big changes in this beta
Thank you very much.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
In the new Multi-rename tool: It took me a while to figure out that the + buttons are for the history of the fields - maybe a down-arrow in stead of the + character would be more intuitive... Especially because using the history doesn't ADD (+) the selected item to the field - it replaces the content of the field.

It would also be nice if the [] and * buttons also worked for the Ext. field, if that field has the focus. The [] button should probably then use a reduced set of placeholders, and the Ext. field should have its own history.

When selecting the <Default> setting (by using the ... button) the [E] checkbox is cleared - opposite to the Windows version - is that on purpose?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

In the new Multi-rename tool: It took me a while to figure out that the + buttons are for the history of the fields - maybe a down-arrow in stead of the + character would be more intuitive... Especially because using the history doesn't ADD (+) the selected item to the field - it replaces the content of the field.
I would prefer that too. However, there are no down arrows or triangles in the Android font. Using a picture would break the button size, so it would no longer be the same as the edit box anf the other button. :(
I'm also using "+" in other places like the search. I had tried with a "v" instead, but it looks strange. Any other ideas?
It would also be nice if the [] and * buttons also worked for the Ext. field, if that field has the focus.
That's a nice idea.
When selecting the <Default> setting (by using the ... button) the [E] checkbox is cleared - opposite to the Windows version - is that on purpose?
No, it should be the same as on Windows. I will change it.

2DrPsyche
Total Commander for Android is 100% freeware and ad-free.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
I'm also using "+" in other places like the search. I had tried with a "v" instead, but it looks strange. Any other ideas?
Hmm, in the "Configure..." -> "Font and Colors" and "Date/time format" dialogs there are triangles - maybe you could use the same kind of dropdown controls?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

petermad wrote: 2019-01-11, 12:49 UTC... dropdown controls ...
It seems that you do not use the Tc for Android very often/intensively. Otherwise you would know that, for example, in the Tc Android search engine, the "+" has been used for drop-downs since everytimes in the same way as it does now in the new modules. So please do not criticize at first the GUI, but first note about the functionality of the modules. Comparison module and MUT in Tc for Android are a big step forward, regardless of details.

It's more about how to evaluate the comparison module as a whole and how it could be extended meaningfully ...

JOU"Sometimes it seems that the people here do not really need the functionality, so they only pay attention to the form in which the function is embedded"BE
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, in the "Configure..." -> "Font and Colors" and "Date/time format" dialogs there are triangles - maybe you could use the same kind of dropdown controls?
These are the default buttons to open a drop down combobox. Comboboxes on Android do not allow to edit the text part, they just allow to pick an item from the list. Therefore they cannot be used here.
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

Currently Google begins to deploy two screen modes in the apps for Android 9 (P) and forthcoming Android Q: light and dark (night) mode. It is already implemented as a local setting in Messages and Contacts, also there is a system-wide switch in Developer options -> Night mode (in P):

Set Night mode
  • Automatic (based on time of day)
  • Always on
  • Always off
But it's still in development, and this system setting in fact affects only the Contacts app. Total Commander already has the dark and light modes in the settings. Will it be possible to add one more option to follow the system setting, at least in Android 9, or when new API will be ready?

Sources: Android Q could well have a native, system-wide dark mode, Android Q leak shows dark mode, improved privacy and intriguing Desktop Mode.
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I could add this easily if Google adds a function for it.

I could already do it now using calculations with the current location and day of the year. However, this would require at least the "coarse location" permission. I find it overkill to request this privacy-breaking permission just for night mode.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-01-28, 14:24 UTC However, this would require at least the "coarse location" permission. I find it overkill to request this privacy-breaking permission just for night mode.
@ghisler Yes, you are right. Please do not implement this, which requests a privacy-breaking permission without really needs.

JOUBE
Skif_off

Post by *Skif_off »

ghisler(Author),
I have one problem: menu after one tap (usual short tap) by file without association (i.e. menu with items "Open with", "Open as", "Create link on desctop" and "Edit file") works fine in 2.91 and 2.92b1, but it's not exists in 3.00b1. Is it bug?

Android 4.4.2.

Big thanks! I can not imagine Android-phones and tablets without Total Commander :)
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

I think that TC has some incompleteness in showing the storage info. For example, on my tablet it shows on the main screen:
Internal shared storage
48.0 G / 51.9 G
File system root
48.0 G / 51.9 G
but there are no details about these values. In the context menu of the first item, Properties, TC shows the total size of the files in the emulated storage (76.2 M), total amount of files and folders, and no any info about total available size. Properties of File system root doesn't show anything (0.0b, 0 files). The separate menu about the properties of the whole drive also doesn't exist, even though this information is important.
Could it be added one way or another?
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have one problem: menu after one tap (usual short tap) by file without association (i.e. menu with items "Open with", "Open as", "Create link on desctop" and "Edit file") works fine in 2.91 and 2.92b1, but it's not exists in 3.00b1. Is it bug?
I'm not aware of any changes which would cause that. I will check the source code.
total amount of files and folders
This would take a long time to calculate - the displayed values can be retrieved immediately.
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

This would take a long time to calculate - the displayed values can be retrieved immediately.
Sure, I didn't mean that, only more detailed info about the storage, which is already shown, but in too short form. Like:
Storage size: ..., Used size: ..., Free size: ...
This is really valuable info, about either main (internal) storage or memory card. The amount of files is curious to know, but not really important.