New feature: Media player, Change playback speed: how to use?

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

New feature: Media player, Change playback speed: how to use?

Post by *DrShark »

history2.txt wrote:2020-07-28 Release v 3.01 beta 5
2020-07-28 Added: Media player: Change playback speed, e.g. for podcasts, via custom player button
I don't see any new buttons in TC Media Player, or a way to add it there, or new internal TC command for this, So how to use this feature?
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New feature: Media player, Change playback speed: how to use?

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately this function only exists on Android 6.0 and newer. Older MediaPlayer controls did not support it.
I will put a note in the history.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-08-03, 13:26 UTCUnfortunately this function only exists on Android 6.0 and newer
Thanks for the info. I tried it now on deice with Android 10, both slowing down and speeding up work fine for tested *.aac files.

This button is not described in Help's "Description of buttons" section yet, so here's how to add it:

Open TC Media Player, then 3-dot/hamburger menu->Configure..., enable checkbox left to "1.0x".
Then in the player the button Change playback speed, which will look like "1.0x" by default, will appear in order as configured in above dialog. The number on the button in player indicates current playback speed.

In Configuration dialog, on the right side of "1.0x" checkbox, there is an input fiald with the numbers in format n.m that define the playback speed.
Such numbers may be added by "+" Play: 0.5-3.0x button or by direct edit of input field. Each new number adds a button, which sets playback speed directly, above the slider which appears after a tap on Change playback speed/1.0x button in a player itself.

2ghisler(Author)
Also I have a suggestion: it would be great to be able to control also the speed of each track separately: e.g. a short tap on Change playback speed button can open a dialog to change the speed for whole queue playlist (as it is now), and a long tap could change it, with higher priority, for current or selected tracks. The button itself can indicate the speed of a track which player is playing or about to play player was just started. To distinguish playlist speed and higher priority track speed, the button can use different speed number colors. Or separate track speed could be configured from track context menu...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2DrShark
1. Thanks for the suggestion for the help text. Could you send me these texts also in Ukrainian and Russian, please?

2. Currently the playback speed is only remembered as long as the player icon is displayed in the notification area. Since this is only relevant for podcasts, explanation videos and other text-heavy files, which tend to be long, I don't think that we need a per file setting. Just close the player after listening to a podcast if you want to listen to music afterwards.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-08-06, 08:43 UTC1. Thanks for the suggestion for the help text. Could you send me these texts also in Ukrainian and Russian, please?
OK, and I'll try to compact that text so it'll fit current Player's help format more and then will send it to email with translations.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-08-06, 08:43 UTC2. Currently the playback speed is only remembered as long as the player icon is displayed in the notification area. Since this is only relevant for podcasts, explanation videos and other text-heavy files, which tend to be long, I don't think that we need a per file setting. Just close the player after listening to a podcast if you want to listen to music afterwards.
There are already files with slowed down audio, so user's player speead up feature may be used to listen it in normal speed. Also, for e.g. dictaphone records (they actually may be short), slowing down is a useful feature in case of poor recording quiality - it may help to recognize the words.