Sounds are not removed when uninstalling TC

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Sounds are not removed when uninstalling TC

Post by *Flint »

It is known that TC allows to set sounds to some of its events in the Control Panel - Sounds and Multimedia. But when the user uninstalls TC, this section is not removed, even if the "most destructive" uninstalling is chosen.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Clo

For the next…

Post by *Clo »

2Flint

:) Hello K. !

• Don't complain, they will be there already when you'll reinstall TC, of course ! :lol:

• Do you know another programme able to set its sounds in the Windows C. Panel ? ;)
- And who'ld wish to uninstall TC definitely ? :D

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Don't complain, they will be there already when you'll reinstall TC, of course !
If you tell so, you should ask yourself why to remove INI files, desktop shortcuts and so on when uninstalling TC. :) However, these options are present!
Do you know another programme able to set its sounds in the Windows C. Panel ?
Give me some time and I'll write one. :lol:
And who'ld wish to uninstall TC definitely ?
Not me. :D But if there is an uninstalling tool it should work perfectly, as TC itself works! ;)

For example, what could be if the uninstallation tool were bug-free:
Suppose, some user installed TC, but did not like it at first and decided to remove it. He calls deinstallation function, after that he sees that his system became clear as if there were no TC at all. He thinks: "The programmer that wrote such a good deinstallation tool could not write a bad file manager... I should try this program again!"
:lol:
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Clo

Twisted but…

Post by *Clo »

2Flint
Suppose, some user installed TC, but did not like it at first and decided to remove it. He calls deinstallation function, after that he sees that his system became clear as if there were no TC at all. He thinks: "The programmer that wrote such a good deinstallation tool could not write a bad file manager... I should try this program again!"

:D Totally Russian nice twisted way to think, but quite tenable, though… :lol:

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
szlori

Re: Twisted but…

Post by *szlori »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Excellent!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

A really good one Flint, I totally agree!

Although I consider this issue is not really annoying, I also think that the sounds should be removed on uninstall when the user wants to. This would be a consistent adjustment and would fit perfectly into TCs hassle-free and unobtrusive philosophy.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Sounds are not removed when uninstalling TC

Post by *white »

Flint wrote:It is known that TC allows to set sounds to some of its events in the Control Panel - Sounds and Multimedia. But when the user uninstalls TC, this section is not removed, even if the "most destructive" uninstalling is chosen.
Confirmed. Even the license file (WINCMD.KEY) is deleted from the installation folder without warning when you choose to delete configuration files (wincmd.ini and wcx_ftp.ini) during uninstallation. But registry keys remain in registry.

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\WincmdConnected]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\WincmdCopyComplete]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\WincmdDeleteComplete]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\WincmdPackComplete]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\WincmdSearchComplete]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\WincmdTransferComplete]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\WincmdUnpackComplete]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Wincmd]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Wincmd\WincmdConnected]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Wincmd\WincmdCopyComplete]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Wincmd\WincmdDeleteComplete]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Wincmd\WincmdPackComplete]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Wincmd\WincmdSearchComplete]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Wincmd\WincmdTransferComplete]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Wincmd\WincmdUnpackComplete]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ghisler\Total Commander]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Ghisler\Total Commander]
Notes
Total Commander displays an extra warning and when it's about to delete wincmd.ini and wcx_ftp.ini. Total Commander does not mention that it will also delete wincmd.key when you choose to delete wincmd.ini and wcx_ftp.ini.
If you have placed the wincmd.key file in the %APPDATA%\GHISLER folder, the file is not removed during uninstallation.
One might also prefer to put the license file in the %APPDATA%\GHISLER folder so it can be backed up easily along with the configuration files.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Moderator message

Moved to bugs forum.

White (moderator)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I prefer to keep the registry values. They use only very small amount of memory, and removing them will usually NOT shrink the registry database.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, I prefer to keep the registry values. They use only very small amount of memory, and removing them will usually NOT shrink the registry database.
As a user I would rather be able to decide for myself such things.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote: They use only very small amount of memory, and removing them will usually NOT shrink the registry database.
What bothers users most is not the presence of the registry keys per se, but the presence of the "Total Commander" section in the Sounds applet while there is no "Total Commander" application installed.

Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Flint wrote:
ghisler(Author) wrote: They use only very small amount of memory, and removing them will usually NOT shrink the registry database.
What bothers users most is not the presence of the registry keys per se, but the presence of the "Total Commander" section in the Sounds applet while there is no "Total Commander" application installed.
Sorry, but if that is your only problem, you are a lucky user.
There results no problem at all from this left entries.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Flint,
I agree.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
giulia

Post by *giulia »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, I prefer to keep the registry values. They use only very small amount of memory, and removing them will usually NOT shrink the registry database.
hi
but think about a normal user
he/she will try total commander he/she will uninstall it , and under sound he/she will find total commander sounds

seeing w10 is so buggy for itseflt , at least , add an option to clean all registry key
thanks
love Total Commander , best file manager ever made