[TC 8.0 x64] Scrolling in Lister

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for your feedback! I noticed the following text on the IntelliPoint download page: "The scrolling experience for mice with smooth scroll wheels has been improved in many applications.". Maybe your mouse has such a "smooth scroll wheel"? Normally scroll wheels have notches, and scrolling the wheel by one notch usually scrolls the text by a fixed amount of lines, usually 3 lines. It's possible that this "smooth scroll" is causing problems with TC. Could this be the case?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JJJazz

Post by *JJJazz »

@ghisler:

Yes, my mouse has this "Smooth Mouse Wheel" feature. The interesting thing: I disabled this feature in the IntelliPoint driver before, but there was no change in the behaviour of the scrolling in the Lister.

The new "Microsoft Device Center" seems to handle the Scrolling better than the older IntelliPoint Software. I have still disabled the feature in the new driver. I have no problems now!
yaegor

Post by *yaegor »

I can second the problem with the mouse wheel scrolling in Lister and the solution here.

In my case, for some text files when I open them in Lister, moving mouse wheel one notch, moves the text by many lines (half a page). This usually reproduces at the topmost and bottom-most scroller positions and only under 64 bit Total Commander. I've never seen this issue in other applications.
Uninstalling IntelliPoint helps, though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you also see this only in the 64-bit version, or also in the 32-bit version? You can install both in parallel to the same directory.
Vomitus

Post by *Vomitus »

I confirm smooth scroll bug. I have Win7x64, Logitech mouse with SetPoint drivers. Smooth Scrolling is disabled in driver. In TotalCmd x32 scroll works as it should, while in x64 it uses smooth scrolling regardless of mouse driver settings.

As for moving a page forward/backward on each notch - I also noticed this several times. It usually happens after trying fast scroll forward to the end of document and then, while scrolling sentence is not yet complete, try to fast scroll backwards. Then we have such a behavior when forward notch scrolls to 3 lines(driver setting) and backward notch scrolls a page back(a bug).
Motaba

Scrolling in Lister x64

Post by *Motaba »

Same issue here - scrolling in x64 version gets stuck after a few rotations of the wheel. In 32 bit version it works fine. I am running Windows 7 x64.
I don't have the Intellimouse software, just the standard mouse driver.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Smooth scrolling? This doesn't have anything to do with the problem described above. You can turn off smooth scrolling in the system settings:

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Select
Advanced -> performance settings ->visual effects. Then select
custom and deselect 'smooth-scroll list boxes'.
Motaba

Post by *Motaba »

Turning off smooth scrolling in Windows did not solve the issue

:(
commodore

Post by *commodore »

I can confirm -- I've had "smooth-scroll list boxes" unchecked since I installed the OS, because I found it kind of annoying. :oops:
Scrolling in the 64-bit TC's viewer is "smooth" regardless of this setting, whereas in the 32-bit TC it's "normal". (Windows 7, 64-bit)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, not happening here. Maybe you are running the 64-bit version as a different user (administrator)? This setting is probably user-specific.
commodore

Post by *commodore »

The user has administrative rights. Both TC versions are started via their "default" shortcuts. The viewer in the 32-bit version has normal scrolling, the viewer in the 64-bit version has smooth scrolling (tried running them at the same time, on the same file).