[TC 8.0 x64] Scrolling in Lister

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JJJazz

[TC 8.0 x64] Scrolling in Lister

Post by *JJJazz »

Hi,

I actually don´t know if this is a bug in the Lister itself. I´m trying to describe the situation:

I open a txt file or source code file (i.e. *.cpp) with the Lister (pressing F3). When I´m trying to scroll down with the Mouse Wheel, the position seems to some kind of "locked". It looks like that something is blocking to scroll the text down.

After some scrolling the mouse wheel the Lister will scroll down the text and then the scrolling runs smooth.

I hope that I´ve described the situation understandable. If you need more information, I will try to provide them!

TC Version: 8.0 64bit
Mouse: Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 with IntelliPoint 8.2
theosdikaios

Post by *theosdikaios »

Maybe pressing key F6 will help?
"Since there are many things which have never happened and never will happen,
and which nevertheless are clearly conceivable, and imply no contradiction,
how can one say they are absolutely impossible?" Leibniz
JJJazz

Post by *JJJazz »

@theosdikaios:

No, pressing F6 won´t change the situation.

I also have an addition to the described situation:
When I move the mouse wheel slower then this "blocking" of the scrolling will occur.
When I move the mouse whell faster it is more or less fine.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

How about scrolling in other apps?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe a virus scanner problem? It could be happening when Lister opens the file to read the next block of data. It doesn't keep the file open all the time, just when reading the next 128k of the file.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JJJazz

Post by *JJJazz »

Hi togehter,

the scolling in all other applications works fine.

How could I check that the virus scanner might be the problem? Trend Micro OfficeScan is in use.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Can you turn off real-time scan?
JJJazz

Post by *JJJazz »

2Valentino:

Sorry, I´m not allowed to, because this is a company PC. I do not have the rights to disable the virus scanner.
recoil101

Post by *recoil101 »

I've noticed the same issue with lister but it only happens in the 64bit version. When I try to use the mouse scroll-wheel to scroll through the file, it seems like the window jumps back a few lines when I stop scrolling. It happens randomly though, so it's very annoying.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

2recoil101
Sounds like mouse wheel sensor "trembling". Does it happen in browser or some document, for example?
recoil101

Post by *recoil101 »

Nope. Like I said, it only happens when I'm browsing through a file using the lister in the 64bit TC. The 32bit lister never had this issue. In fact, when it gets really annoying, I sometimes go back to using the 32bit version. I also don't have this issue in any other applications.

I've just noticed that it doesn't do it when the file I'm browsing is binary( a zip file ). But it does if it detects the file as 'text only' and 'ansi'.

I alter the config settings in lister so I can always view the source of the file. So I've unchecked the 'show html as text with links' and 'show links in HTML .. ' settings and I turn off all of the multimedia display selections, except "RTF". I also do not use any plugs-ins.
milo1012
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *milo1012 »

It seems that there are some general behavior specifics in the scroll function in Lister, at least when it comes to Windows 7 (and prop. Vista).

As you might know, the scroll function sucks in these OSes and is a step backwards IMO. In opposite to Windows XP you now have to focus a window, window portion or a scroll pane by clicking with mouse in it, switching to it with tab key or whatever, to finally be able to scroll with the mouse wheel in it.
Look e.g. here.
There are some tools to bypass this behavior, the most famous being WizMouse.
I recently switched to AlwaysMouseWheel, since I didn't like the bloated interface of WizMouse with ads.
In TC 32bit version under Windows 7, for some reason, I now can trigger your behavior. AlwaysMouseWheel works fine with most programs I've tested so far, but fails in Lister. I can't scroll when the program is enabled but I can when it's disabled. So TC's Lister scrolling works fine and as it should be, but gets broken with that tool. In TC 64bit scrolling works in both cases!
So yes, the 64bit version seems to have different scrolling behavior, otherwise I couldn't trigger it like I said.

My experience is, that many Windows 7 users make use of WizMouse and similar tools, just because it makes GUI use much easier. So maybe Mr. Ghisler should take a look at the Listers scrolling functions and make sure it works in every case. It's probably not a TC bug but a result of the horrible shortcoming of the scroll function in Windows 7.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

milo1012,
You had to do the same in XP, unless your mouse driver (or a 3rd party software) did it automatically.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
JJJazz

Post by *JJJazz »

@milo1012:

Thanks for your investigation!
I do not use one of your mentioned tools. As I said in my first post: I have installed the Microsoft IntelliPoint Software (latest version 8.2), because this is installed automatically when I insert the Receiver for the Mouse in the USB-Port.
JJJazz

Post by *JJJazz »

@All:

I´ve got an update:
I´ve removed the IntelliPoint Driver (version 8.2) and installed the new "Microsoft Device Center" (version 1.1.500.0). With this new driver, the scrolling in the Lister works really fine.

Therefore, I think that the problem was the driver of the mouse.