very small bug

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

icu2l82

very small bug

Post by *icu2l82 »

When i'm trying to copy/move different directoring... i'm marking some on the pane with control + left mouse button.
Now, if I want to move them and drag them to another directory, when I press shift, all the directories in the middle are being marked too (so I cannot move the directories I choosed), something which should not happen.
As far as I know, everything was fine with old versions (7.5 and lower).
I am using the x64 version.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Unfortunately, this (for many unexpected) behavior is intentional. You have to first start dragging and just then press Shift.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Or you could change your selection mode:

"Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Operation" -> "Mouse selection mode" -> "Use right mouse button..."

Once you get used to this mode you'll probably newer want to go back to the Windows mode.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Addendum:
Once you get used to this mode you'll probably newer want to go back to the Windows mode.
Once you have got used to
+ marking files and folders using the keyboard and to
+ copying / moving them using the keyboard, too,
you will very likely wonder why you could ever be bothered to use drag'n'drop at all. :wink:

Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
zuao

Post by *zuao »

Same problem here. I am sure, this is not an intentional behavior. And it was different, not to say correct, prior v8.

Switching to the NC mode won't deal with the real problem. It just changes the selection mode, but as soon as you'd try to shift + drag (aka move) the selection, you are at risk changing the selection UNLESS you click the file/dir below the cursor position (most likely the last one you selected.

Maybe the case gets more obvious if you try this: Select some files or/and dirs at your pleasure. Now deselect one or some. Now try shift drag the remaining selection. At least one of the items you deselected gets selected again.

tc v8.01 x64, win7x64
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

And it was different, not to say correct, prior v8.
Neither confirmed with 7.57 nor 6.56.
Even Explorer shows this behavior if you use <Shift down> followed by <LMB down> :
The selection between the last marked item and the current item is expanded.

The correct sequence for Drag & Drop Move operation is:
<LMB down> <Mouse move> <Shift down> <LMB up>

Regards
Holger
zuao

Post by *zuao »

Concerning the Explorer behavior, agreed. Concerning earlier TC version I can not.
Of course <SHIFT> expands a selection between the last and the current item. Kid's stuff.

Again, in earlier TC versions (prior 8.0), as soon as you <SHIFT>+dragged your selection, it did not matter which item of the selection one selected while doing this.

Anyway, I found a solution in the docs. One could also use <ALT>+drag to initiate MOVE FILES. OR a little finger play: simply drag with LMB, then in addition press and hold RMB and now release the LMB. No kidding! :)

Nando
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

As i said: not confirmed!

Can you please explain in detailed steps what you did.

E.g. what i've tested (8.01x64, NC selection mode):

1. given 5 files 1.txt .. 6.txt
2. LMB on 1.txt
3. Shift+LMB on 6.txt (selects all files from 1.txt to 6.txt)
4. RMB deselect 2.txt, 3.txt, 4.txt
6. start drag LMB on file 3.txt
7. drop (SHIFT+LMB release) in destination folder
-> File 1.txt, 5.txt, 6.txt is moved to destination.
... No kidding!
Can you imagine that this ... is kid's stuff for some of us. :wink:

Regards
Holger
zuao

Post by *zuao »

Now we are getting somewhere.
Well, using <SHIFT> AFTER the LMB+drag is working. In earlier versions it (also?) worked the other way around, first <SHIFT> then LMB+drag.

Well, I penitently admit, thinking about the whole thing again, it is much more consistent to press <SHIFT> AFTER the drag. That said, it would be an intentional change to v8.0. :)

About the left-right-left finger play to move files I would think that's more the geek's stuff corner, than kid's stuff, isn't it? ;)

Thanks for the enlightment!

Nando
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

It was a bug in old versions but now it is fixed.
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=32445

Solution is simple. You must press Shift after starting dragging, not before!

Sometimes it works with older versions with Shift pressed before, but not always. E.g. it works when you have two selected groups of files, cursor is within first group and you hold Shift and start dragging file from second group. But when you have only one group selected and you hold Shift and try to drag deselected file, older versions do some selecting too.

BTW you can use right mouse button instead of Shift, again, after starting dragging. So, hold LMB, drag files, hold RMB while dragging and release LMB to drop files. In right-button selection mode Alt key may be used instead of Shift too.