[8.01] Bug: packing wrong RAR

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2MaxX
Does your RAR-packer NOT lose spaces in newly created "*.rar"s???
No, here the spaces are preserved when using TC as shell for both rar.exe and winrar.exe

Winrar.exe is not portable at all, it creates tons of trash in user profile and registry
I just tested it. If I do not install winrar, but only extract winrar.exe and use it from within TC, then winrar only makes one entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER_Software and one folder in %APPDATA% - so it is not so bad.

2Horst.Epp
Also there is a portable winrar
Where do you find that version?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Biozynotiker

Post by *Biozynotiker »

petermad wrote:
Winrar.exe is not portable at all, it creates tons of trash in user profile and registry
I just tested it. If I do not install winrar, but only extract winrar.exe and use it from within TC, then winrar only makes one entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER_Software and one folder in %APPDATA% - so it is not so bad.
That's the main problem, because Winrar stores the default compression profile in this registry location.
So Winrar.exe use this profile by default, even when you launch winrar.exe with cmd parameters.
Example: You launch winrar.exe from TC with -m5 and the default profile is set to solid archiving, then
this ends in a solid archive, even when you don't expected it. Think about portability, the default profile
could be differ form pc to pc. The only solution is to put "-cfg-" to the cmd parameters. But there is still
unwanted regkeys created.

The "portable" versions you can found on the net, are all loaders, that clean the regkeys and profile after winrar.exe exit,
it does not prevent to create these regkeys.