[8.01] Truncated descriptions corrupt newlines

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sgp

[8.01] Truncated descriptions corrupt newlines

Post by *sgp »

8.01 x32 Win7 SP1 x32.
Edit a description, enter several multiple lines, at least total 1500 characters, each line no more than 100 characters. Edit the same description again. It's truncated at about 1117 characters for me.This isn't the issue - although it would be nice to have longer descriptions, at least 8192 characters.
The issue is that the truncated description reveals embedded newlines encoded as \n. The reason is that when TC truncates the comment, it also chops off the special end-of-line marker which it uses to mark a multi-line comment as such.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately this cannot be avoided - the alternative would be to cut off even more text...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sgp

Post by *sgp »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Unfortunately this cannot be avoided - the alternative would be to cut off even more text...
How much more? Because I prefer to have a few characters less but retain new lines in the preceding 1700 characters than to have ~1705 characters and lose all new lines. Here I have assumed that 5 (1705-1700) is the amount of extra text that is lost by preserving the special marker. Of course, if instead of 5 that amount was 500 I'd prefer to trade newlines for more text.