[8.01 x64] Win8 - symlinks of networkshare -> file not fo

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

lanwin

Post by *lanwin »

Interesting. For me it is the opposite. It works in Windows 7 compatibility mode, but not without any compatibility mode.

The link is the one which is provided by the TC installer.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, cannot reproduce - I don't know what is different with your PC, but it works just fine here. I followed your steps exactly.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

I see the same behavior as lanwin - I need to enable compatibility mode to get rid of the error.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
Ross_

ways to reproduce

Post by *Ross_ »

Hi. First of all, let me thank you, Ghisler for the marvelous TC application I've been using for years! I beleive it is the best file manager ever!

I think that my problem and the problem in the beginning of the topic is related, and it is about a wrong URI handling in TC. But if you find that it's different issue, please feel free to move my post out of this topic.

As for the problem. I'm running W8 x64. I have several network drives, e.g.:

Code: Select all

\\ server1\users\user1  maped to X:
\\ server2\shares\share1 maped to Y:
Whenever I run TC as administrator, X: and Y: drives within TC appear to be mapped to

\\ server1\users
\\ server2\shares
instead of the folders within the shares.

If I run TC in normal user mode, I get X: and Y: drives mapped to the same place, where they appear in Explorer.

While running as administrator, when I try to open files from the network shares, I get the same error with "file not found" - as long as TC is sending the wrong path to the application. If I have a file

\\ server1\users\user1\My Documents\test.xlsx

which has a path of

Y:\My Documents\test.xlsx

and I try to open this file from TC running as administrator, I get the following path for the file:

Y:\User1\My Documents\test.xlsx
Obviously, my Excel is throwing error that the file cannot be found.
Tried compatibility mode - makes no change in behaviour. The main thing is running as Administrator. Yes, I have UAC turned on. The issue happens on both x86 and x64 versions of TC8 and TC7 as well.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2Ross_
Your problem is not related to the above: On newer Windows versions, network drives are user-specific. So when running TC as administrator, you see the administrator's drives instead of the normal user's drives.
Ross_

Post by *Ross_ »

ghisler(Author) wrote:2Ross_
Your problem is not related to the above: On newer Windows versions, network drives are user-specific. So when running TC as administrator, you see the administrator's drives instead of the normal user's drives.
I know, but under "running as administrator" I meant running application in a privileged mode, not under Administrator user account. I just mentioned it the same way as it appears in GUI. I use Compatibility tab and enable "Run as administrator" checkbox.

This works fine in Windows 7 x64.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Ross_ wrote:I know, but under "running as administrator" I meant running application in a privileged mode, not under Administrator user account.
Network drives connected in elevated programs don't show up in non-elevated programs and vice versa. Just try it yourself: run elevated TC and connect a network drive - the drive won't show up in explorer or in any program running non-elevated.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Ross_

Post by *Ross_ »

Dalai wrote:
Ross_ wrote:I know, but under "running as administrator" I meant running application in a privileged mode, not under Administrator user account.
Network drives connected in elevated programs don't show up in non-elevated programs and vice versa. Just try it yourself: run elevated TC and connect a network drive - the drive won't show up in explorer or in any program running non-elevated.

Regards
Dalai
Oops, my fault :oops:

Elevated powershell does the same thing as elevated TC, so it's not a TC fault. Now I also remember why I have network drives while in elevated prompt - I have enabled the registry setting mentioned in MS KB937624.

As for original issue in the thread, I tried to test this and I don't experience any issues. I've done mklink /d folder to a network share, then in TC opened that folder, double-clicked text file and it opened up in notepad without any errors. Hope it helps.
Wikiped

Post by *Wikiped »

I had run into this issue on Win8 x64.
I have several shares mapped to local folders in this manner:

mklink /d "c:\Users\%usrname%\share_name" "\\server\share_name"
When clicking (double clicking) in TC on files that are stored on a network share "through" local folder makes an error appear ("File not found").
While windows explore opens the same file (with the same path) without problem.

I noticed that the issue is that the "local" path that is passed to TC starts with "UNC\server\path_to_file" (this is becoming obvious when trying to open any archive - it complains with the full path of the file that it can't find.)

But if I try to open the same file in TC but with path starting with network location (i.e. "\\server\path_to_file") it does open fine.

However, switching to Win7 compatibility mode "solves" the issue.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the details - TC tries to follow links when launching files because Windows 8 fails to open files via links pointing to other local directories. Links to remote files are actually excluded from this function, so I really wonder why TC tries to follow them in your case. You write that a path
UNC\server\path_to_file
is shown. This looks really odd. Maybe you used UNC as a placeholder for the real UNC path? Or is it actually stored like this in your link?
Wikiped

Post by *Wikiped »

Thank you very much for looking into this issue.
I have no idea why does it happen on my PC - it is by the way a fresh installation of both Win8 (x64) and TC.

To visualize what happens below are two screenshots:
1. Showing how the link was created:

img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/4137/31588869.0/0_c1cb6_d353fc2f_L.jpg
2. An error appears when clicking on the zip file in the created link (left side panel).
If I would click the same file but on the right side it would open without errors.

img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6430/31588869.0/0_c1cb5_3c2cd10d_L.jpg
P.S. apparently I can't post a link to an image in an easy manner, hence this inconvenience...