ALT-Tab behavior inconsistency: new file vs. new folder

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

RADiCAL

ALT-Tab behavior inconsistency: new file vs. new folder

Post by *RADiCAL »

Usually at work, when I work on bugs, I create folders with bug IDs, so instead of using copy&paste or memorizing more than 2-3 digits, what I do is follow the following steps:
  • 1. Total Commander: F7 (create a new folder).
    2. Enter the beginning of the folder name in the dialog box.
    3. Press ALT-Tab in order to switch to my Bugs app to see the bug ID, etc.
    4. Press ALT-Tab to get back to Total Commander & there I see that the whole name is marked, instead of leaving it exactly how I left it: unmarked, cursor waiting in the end so I can continue typing in.
    5. I usually repeat steps 3-4 several times until I am satisfied with the folder name (bug ID, synopsis, etc.).
What usually happens when I did it quickly is that my second typing overwrites the beginning of the new folder name.

Please compare the behavior to "Edit File" (Shift+F4) - if u repeat the above, u will see that the dialog box keeps the entered value as is (text, marked text, cursor position) whenever u use ALT-Tab.

This is very annoying, since I never use the mouse when switching between Total Commander & other applications.
EricB

Post by *EricB »

Hi RADiCAL,

I agree this might be a bug, but a feasible workaround might be the use of some clipboard manager. This way you first store all relevant info from your bugs app into several clipboard entries and then paste those in the F7 dialog. Saves you lots of ALT-TAB at least. I usually use ClipX (http://bluemars.org/clipx/) which is free and works like a charm.

Regards, EricB
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Interesting comparison. I think it is because of window types (first one is combo box and second one is simple edit box).

RADiCAL, you may create folders in the way you like with my AskParam tool, just create a button or user-command with assigned hotkey:

Code: Select all

Command: AskParam.exe
Parameters: /t"%N" /p"New folder (directory):" %%ComSpec%% /c "md "%P%%1""
Start path: <empty>