Plugins and codepage=65001 in main LNG

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Plugins and codepage=65001 in main LNG

Post by *MVV »

ASCII text in plugins becomes unreadable if codepage=65001 is used in main LNG file (UTF-8 encoding). Since usually plugin writers use ASCII encodings that match language, I think TC should use that encoding for plugin's INI strings (e.g. 1251 for [RUS] section of content plugin's LNG) instead of one that is used for LNG/MNU files.

Plugin installation dialog
Plugin fields
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Please use a different base name (e.g. wcmd_ru8.lng) for UTF-8 encodings. TC will use UTF-8 for Plugin translations too, because some languages (e.g. Armenian, or Romanian with special diacrytics) only work with Unicode. Therefore plugin translations of these languages would only work with UTF-8 too.

Btw, any reason why you want to use UTF-8 for Russian? Please stick to codepage 1251 - UTF-8 encoding only works on WinNT-based systems.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

TC will use UTF-8 for Plugin translations too, because some languages (e.g. Armenian, or Romanian with special diacrytics) only work with Unicode.
Yeah, theese cases require UTF-8...
Btw, any reason why you want to use UTF-8 for Russian? Please stick to codepage 1251 - UTF-8 encoding only works on WinNT-based systems.
It is not a problem to use NT systems today; some people want to see special characters e.g. in main menu so they use UTF-8 (e.g. screenshot).
And, LNG conversion for plugins is a sad idea because TC silently overwrites LNG files on every update, that's why it would be useful to keep 1251 where UTF-8 is not required.
LonerD

Post by *LonerD »

Support.
TC should use language section for plugin's INI strings.
any reason why you want to use UTF-8 for Russian?
Total Commander work and display the text in it should not depend on language of the code page. UTF-8 in Total should work on all systems.
"I used to feel guilty in Cambridge that I spent all day playing games, while I was supposed to be doing mathematics. Then, when I discovered surreal numbers, I realized that playing games IS math." John Horton Conway
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, translations are designed to work with local codepages. UTF-8 should only be used for languages which require it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
LonerD

Post by *LonerD »

There are real profit of such use of informative font glyph, there are some people really want to use it.
Live with the sacrifice as an invalid menu in wdx-plugins and the squares in the plugins dialog box - it's not a good burden. Please do not neglect this bug.
"I used to feel guilty in Cambridge that I spent all day playing games, while I was supposed to be doing mathematics. Then, when I discovered surreal numbers, I realized that playing games IS math." John Horton Conway