Encoding/decoding multiple files

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Csimbi

Encoding/decoding multiple files

Post by *Csimbi »

Hi all,
it appears that encoding and decoding does not work on multiple files - the selection is bluntly ignored.
I found this thread here.
Feature is something that does not exist in a product.
IMHO, it's not a feature, it's a bug as TC always works on the selected files and therefore, it is breaking normal and expected behaviour.
In addition to the aforementioned inconsistency, it's frustrating to have to navigate to and encode (or decode) each file separately.
Therefore, I would very much like to see this inconsistency fixed despite the weak arguments that the naysayers in the other thread made up.

Steps to reproduce:

1. I select a few files on either panel with INSERT.
2. Move the cursor over a file that you did not select.
3. I select Files->Encode File (MIME, UUE, XXE).
4. I select BASE64 (both boxes empty) and click ok.
5. Only the currently highlighted file (the one with the cursor) is encoded while the selected files are left alone.

If there's at least one file selected, TC should work with the selection instead of the file under the cursor.

Thanks for fixing.

While at it, TC supports BinHex decoding. Any chance to add encoding, too?

Thank you!
Best regards: Csimbi
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Encode function simply doesn't support multiple input files, so only focused one used (all commands that accept single item, use focused one). It is not a bug, it is a missing feature.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The reason is that the function supports multi-part files. If the user would select all parts and then try to decode, it would lead to errors if TC tried to decode all the parts..
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com