Totalcommander 8.01 does not deal with Kingston encrypted us

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

eduh

Totalcommander 8.01 does not deal with Kingston encrypted us

Post by *eduh »

I use a Kingston Data traveler Vault Privacy 2G USB stick which contains a encrypted usb section. In totalcommander version 7 the encrypted partition could be reached without any problems. I upgraded to totalcommander version 8.01 and now the encrypted partition cannot be found.
The Kingston utility says 'unable to locate the removable drive'
But...when I start the stick in Windows Explorer the stick starts without problems. Must be an issue in version 8.01.

I did test without any virus software (which could interfere) and on winxp,win7,windows server2003. When googling I think it has something to with Human Interface Device (HID) which has to be set to Unmanaged ...but this is a wild guess.
eduh

image to show the bug

Post by *eduh »

3w eduh nl / kingston.png
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Try the 32-bit version of TC 8.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
eduh

Post by *eduh »

All test wre done with the 32 bit version
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you able to access the stick with Total Commander after using it with Explorer? If not, you may be using TC with compatibility settings or with admin rights. Please check this in the properties of the link by which you start Total Commander, and in the properties of Totalcmd.exe.

If this doesn't help:

Can you tell me what device exactly you have? Is it this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-DataTraveler-Privacy-DTVP-2GB/dp/B0014IZ00M

I will probably have to buy one to find out what's wrong.
eduh

Post by *eduh »

-When I unlock the stick with Explorer I am able to see the contents in Totalcommander.
-I tried several compatibility settings and I have admin rights but the problem stays te same, I cannot unlock the stick.
-It is the same stick as listed in the amazon link. I wouldn't bother too much for the explorer workaround is not a big deal.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, so the only problem is the unlock function. How exactly does this work? Do you need to run a program (.exe) from the stick?

About the compatibility settings: Make sure that none of them is set, and that you do NOT run TC with higher administrative rights.

You can also try to pin the program to the Windows 7 task bar, or create a link on the desktop to it. Then start it from there instead of starting it from TC.

And a question about the stick: There seem to be 2 versions:
KINGSTON DataTraveler Vault Privacy (DTVP)
and
KINGSTON DataTraveler Vault Privacy Managed (DTVPM)

Which of the two do you use?
eduh

Post by *eduh »

It's the DTVP version.
When inserting the stick it adds 2 drives
1. A cdrom drive which has a executable DTVP_Launcher.exe
2. A removable disk which in unlock status says 'drive not found'
When running DTVP_Launcher.exe in explorer a password dialog is shown where you can unlock the drive. In Totalcommander the password screen is never shown but its comes with the error of drive not found.
(I tried to run the DTVP_Launcher.exe from a local disk but that is not allowed so the only way to test it is with the a physical stick)

I did check with and without compatibility\admin rights and it makes no difference.

One other interesting thing: I did downgrade to version 7.0 and it worked immedialtely. I upgraded to 7.52 and it stops working. So between these versions there is something going on.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is there a dll in the same directory as DTVP_Launcher.exe?

There is a new security feature in TC 7.55 and newer: TC (and programs stared from it) will not be able to load dlls if the dll isn't in Windows or system32, or if the full path isn't speicifed. This is done to avoid dll injection (a virus/worm dll with the same name as a system dll).

You can turn off this feature by adding the line
DllLoad=1
to wincmd.ini section [Configuration] I wonder whether this has any effect in your case.
eduh

Post by *eduh »

Tried the setting and makes no difference..., there is no dll on the stick anyway.
But things are getting a little confusing for I have one laptop with win7 ultimate and one m with win7 basic. The last one unlocks the stick and the ultimate isn't. So what I experience is
-winxp,vista,win2003 server with totalcommander 8.01 are not unlocking. With version totalcommander 7.0 there are unlocking the stick
-win7 unlocks sometimes

Tried this with+without admin rights.
Anyway, I think people can live with the workaround to unlock it in Explorer and then work in totalcommander 8 as usual.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting - could you try the wincmd.ini from win7 basic also on your other computer? See menu Help - About Total Commander for the location of the ini file.
eduh

Post by *eduh »

The inifile was already the same so that was not the problem. But I finally found something. As we already discussed I did try to run Totalcommander with or without admin rights and that didn't succeed. But when I start the DTVP_Launcher.exe I can also choose the 'run as' option. And when I do that I see that the 'run this program with restricted access' is selected. When I deselect it, the program unlocks the stick. Test done with version 8.
When I downgrade to version 7 I see the same restricted option is selected but then it unlocks the stick. So...it's getting quite complicated to get to a conclusion for it has several dependencies (os+totalcommander version and permissionset and maybe virusscanners or usb drivers...) I can live with the workarounds and it's good to know the workarounds for people who are having trouble with a kingston datatraveler.