Total Commander 8.01 32bit - slow access time to HDDs

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Rocky III

Total Commander 8.01 32bit - slow access time to HDDs

Post by *Rocky III »

After reinstall Win 7 x64 i notice that when i want to access to some of folders on any of HDDS partitions TC has time delay about 1sec up to 1 and half sec to open a folder. This doesn't happen always. First i thought maybe hdd is turned off because of power setting but i change to 'never' turn off HDDs it was set-up to 20min by default. It is not helped. I defragmented HDDs but did not help too. How i see when i want to access to HDDs over win explorer until now i did not have that problem but because of that i think the problem is with TC.
When i installed 8.01 i c/p .ini file from TC which i use on previous sys and it was v7.58 i think. Maybe i change something in setting in previous ver. which is not compatible with v8.01...

My os:
Win 7 x64 SP1
AMD phenom II x4 925
8GB ddr3
ATI 5770
Samsung spinpoint F3, WD cavier green 1.5TB, WD3200AAKS
Last edited by Rocky III on 2013-01-07, 13:10 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
haynor

Post by *haynor »

I have similiar problem - slow directory refreshing.

For example when I delete file from directory contains 200 files refresh become very slow, I almost see scrolling lines. The same is when I enter directory in this folder. It pass almost 1 sec to get in and almost sec to get out to main directory.

Tested on Win 7 x64 and 8.01x64

I've found this problem only present when I have in second window directory with large number of files eg 20000.

When I have one window with 200/dirs and second window with 10 files/dirs everything is ok.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is definitely not OK, something is interfering with the disk access. The most common reason is a slow virus scanner.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Rocky III

Post by *Rocky III »

I use Avast free AV and Win 7 firewall.
haynor

Post by *haynor »

I'm using ESET Endpoint Antyvirus without firewall but even with temporarily disabled problem is still present.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Just disabling it doesn't usually stop the scan engine service, it just disables the warnings.

You can try the tool "process monitor" from www.sysinternals.com to find out what TC tries to access when it hangs. For example, a file may be associated with a program on a network drive which is currently unavailable. This would also lead to slow loading.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com