Drive label is not shown in drive tooltip/combobox

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Drive label is not shown in drive tooltip/combobox

Post by *MVV »

I can see volume label in 'volume label and free/total space' panel but I can't see it in other places.

I discovered that dumb Explorer doesn't show volume label in My Computer/Explorer tree/volume properties when I have folder Autorun.inf in root USB stick folder (protection from Autorun.inf file creation), it seems that it founds object Autorun.inf and tries to read label INI section from it and fails because it is a directory. I can see drive label in output of console DIR command or in Drive Management window. Also third-party programs show drive labels too (e.g. USB Safely Remove tool). And, funniest thing, if I enter new volume label in Explorer's volume properties, it changes label but is still unable to show it.

I think TC should (at least provide an option) to show real labels (not those that stupid Explorer tries to show) in drive tooltips/comboboxes (it already knows how to get labels since it shows them in a 'volume label and free/total space' panel).

TC 8.01 x32, Win7/8.

To reproduce: create folder Autorun.inf in root USB stick folder and reattach it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, currently there are no plans to change this. Why do you need a folder named Autorun.inf? This sounds a bit constructed just to provoke an error...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Please search the web, it is very popular virus protection thing. Filesystem doesn't allow to have file and folder with same names in same place. So if I have folder named Autorun.inf it is impossible to create file Autorun.inf here => virus won't be able to add its autorun entry. The only problem is stupid Microsoft Explorer that tries to read volume label from Autorun.inf file and shows no label on fail (it must show old good volume label instead).

Since TC always shows real folder names (ignoring desktop.ini) it would be logical to show real volume labels (ignoring Autorun.inf).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm using the labels from Explorer because in my tests reading the real labels could cause delays of several minutes with some badly written device drivers when there was no medium.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

That's bad... But TC shows correct label in volume info panel...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, what do you mean with "volume info panel"?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I mean panel with volume information in drive combobox panel:

Code: Select all

[mvv_flash]  1 169 396 k of 7 970 800 k free
It shows correct USB Stick label while drive combobox and drive button's tooltip show just 'Removable drive' like Explorer does.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

BTW I just noticed that Explorer doesn't show my fixed drive's volume labels (they have Autorun.inf folders too). But TC shows correct labels for theese volumes correctly everywhere (tooltips/combobox/infopanel).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Hmm, this seems to be OS related.

Under Windows XP both Explorer and TC shows volume label correctly everywhere, but under Window 7 only TC shows volume label and then only in the "Free space on drive" bar as reported by MVV.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

petermad,
I agree that Windows XP doesn't have such bug, it exists in Windows 7/8 (maybe Vista too), I mentioned that in first post.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I mentioned that in first post
You were reporting for TC 8.01 x32, Win7/8 - now I am adding that the "bug" does not exist under Windows XP, so maybe it is not Ghislers intention that it shouldn't work the same way under Windows 7 as it does under XP.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I know that it is Windows Explorer problem. But since TC sometimes uses Explorer method (which is buggy in Win7/8) and sometimes correct method, I want it to use correct method always (optionally of course).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I totally agree with you.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The "Free space on drive" is read only after switching to that specific drive, so TC already knows that it's accessible. The Explorer method is used when not accessing the drive, e.g. in Alt+F1/F2, because of too many troubles trying to read the label directly.