[TC 8.01 Win7 x64] Incorrect position of texts in columns.

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mikcz

[TC 8.01 Win7 x64] Incorrect position of texts in columns.

Post by *mikcz »

There seems to be a problem with calculating positions in columns as shown below:
[Link to the image will be provided in the next message after 1 day due to forum restrictions]

Expected behavior:
Right edge of the files size texts should stick to the right side of the "Size" column.

Actual behavior:
Right edge of the files size texts starts at constant position measured from the left side of the "Size" column.

The same applies to "Date" column, etc.

I've seen it also in screenshots regarding other issues.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Hi, are you, by any chance, talking about a column alignment? Because content of columns is left-aligned by default. That can be changed when you create your custom column configuration.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
mikcz

Post by *mikcz »

I am not talking about the aligment issue, because the text of the "Size" column is right aligned (as understood from the alignment definition).
But the biggest issue is that there is a big unused empty area between right side of the text and the right side of the column while the text still goes beyond the left column boundary.

Still cannot post a link to the image which would resolve any doubts :)
mikcz

Post by *mikcz »

The temporary link:
s13 . postimg . org / ugy32ysvr / Total_Cmd_Col_Display.png
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

OK, I see what you mean.
As a workaround, I'd recommend you using your own column settings. There is no wrong alignment or text overflowing when you use them. Only the default configuration behaves in such way.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The size column is special: It is right-aligned, but the position is determined by the LEFT separator. Just try moving the separators on the left and on the right side of the size column to see how it works. Why is this done? Otherwise it would be impossible to control the distance between the size and the date column!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Henrie

Post by *Henrie »

I understand mikcz issue.
Christian is right about controlling the distance between the size and the date column. The downside of this solution is that now we can not change the width of the header of the size column without getting a big white gap between the size and the date column. While the header of the extensions column and the name column are very wide in my case. I put the extensions not in a separate column, so i would like the header of the size column to be wider so i can more easily select it.
mikcz

Post by *mikcz »

OK, so now understanding (or at least I think I do) the idea behind the current implementation I have a proposal how to solve the issue in the default layout.
Currently the 'Name' column adapts its width to the panel width and does not allow adjusting distance from left panel edge, the 'Extension' column is left aligned and sizeable, the 'Size' column has fixed width, the text is right aligned, the size of the column is only used for adjusting the distance from 'Date' column, the 'Date' column is left aligned and sizeable and the 'Attr' column is left aligned and sizeable so its distance from the right panel edge can be adjusted (does anyone need that?)

Panel width does not include presence of the vertical slider (that's another issue).

My proposal:
Panel width should be adjusted so it includes slider width and the 'Name' column should be adjusted accordingly.
Max text widths of Date column and Attr column can be calculated at startup.

'Attr' column is right aligned - the text has constant distance from right panel edge like the 'Name' column text from left edge. Column is sizeable - the distance from 'Date' column can be adjusted.
If for some good reason anyone would need to change its distance from the right panel edge, 'The Margin' could be introduced - for 'Attr' column so the text distance from the right edge of the panel could also be adjusted and for 'Name' column so the text/icon distance from the left panel edge.
'Date' column texts are right aligned. The column is sizeable so the distance from 'Size' column can be adjusted.
'Size' column is right aligned and sizeable so the distance from 'Ext' column can be adjusted.

So there would be no 'special' behavior, no confusion and no bugs.
Any comments regarding the proposal appreciated. :)