TCMDX64.exe is not released and remains in process

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Michael REMY

TCMDX64.exe is not released and remains in process

Post by *Michael REMY »

hi !

i use tc 8.01 32bits release, on win7 x64 system.

i notice thing thing :

i select a file (a mp3 file by example), then i open the contextual menu, and choose x64 and informations (because informations on x64 gives differents information windows than x32 informations).

Then it open the dialog box informations of my file.
i close that dialog box.

and i discover that the process TCMDX64.exe still remains in the runnning process (it is creates once i open the x64 dialog box).

So i have to close it myself by killing it ! (or i have to close TC).

so, it is strange that is stay alive in the running process...

this bug was alos present on tc 7.x release.

have a good day !
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

I don't think it's an error. It stays running so when you open the x64 context menu again, it will load a bit faster. The speed difference is small, that's true, but the process requires only about 2MB of RAM, so I don't care.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Use the x64 TC
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TCMDX64.exe is not released and remains in process

Post by *Dalai »

Michael REMY wrote:So i have to close it myself by killing it !
No you don't. TC closes tcmdx64.exe by itself as soon as you close TC. I don't know if TC closes this process as well when the context menu isn't used for some time. (There is a timeout for tcmadmin.exe, maybe that's the case for tcmdx64.exe, too.)

However I don't see the problem here, let alone the bug. TC needs this process to load the "x64" submenu. If this process is bothering you, you can either disable the "x64" submenu (see "x64menu" in the help file, section 4.b) or use the 64 Bit version of TC.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Except if he needs 32-bit extensions as well, nothing will change for him. TC will just use TCMDX32.EXE instead, which requires even more memory.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, the process is kept running so you can open the subsequent X64 submenus more quickly. This can make quite a big difference with some virus scanners. Currently tcmdx64.exe is only closed when you close Total Commander itself. Only tcmadmin.exe is terminated after a user-defined timeout (AdminTimeout, default is 180 seconds) because it would be a security risk - someone else could get to your computer and change files with admin rights.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Michael REMY

Post by *Michael REMY »

I don't think it's an error. It stays running so when you open the x64 context menu again, it will load a bit faster. The speed difference is small, that's true, but the process requires only about 2MB of RAM, so I don't care.
ok i understood it. it is the best solution for slow hardware (not my case). but it could have be an option to let it open or another option to fixe the time of unsued process before autoclose by tc. i open tc once in the day and close it only in the evening. As i care about my processes, i don't like to see a ghost one.
Use the x64 TC
i thought about it but i affraid of lost all my setting and all my ftp password saved. i don't know if installing x64 release on the same computer will reset or not my ftp password and setting. i guess (by securiry care), that the ftp password are protected by hask key or something like that depending of the OS or cpu architectur ? moreover, my config file are store in the win folder, not in the tc folder. Maybe the x64 release will replace or erase then during the install.

Except if he needs 32-bit extensions as well, nothing will change for him. TC will just use TCMDX32.EXE instead, which requires even more memory.
what do you mean ? if i install the tc x64 release, then i will have the opposite event ? then, a TCMDX32.exe ghost process will appear to see 32bits contecxtual menu ? and it will use more memory ?

And by the way, i didn't receive any email alert of your message. yes my email adress is correct, yes i check into spam , yes i checked the tick bow to receive it. did you have server email plateform problem ?

have a good day
i'm an old long user of TC since the windows 3.11 release !, for the history, i came to tc when i migrate from amiga commodore to PC where they are diskmanager and directory opus there.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Michael REMY wrote:i thought about it but i affraid of lost all my setting and all my ftp password saved
Both versions share their settings and can work side by side. TCx64 does not change anything on its own, it just adds a few additional sections to your configuration file for 64b plugins. You can safely try TCx64, but if you really want to be sure, just make a backup of your configuration files.
Michael REMY wrote:what do you mean ? if i install the tc x64 release, then i will have the opposite event ? then, a TCMDX32.exe ghost process will appear to see 32bits contecxtual menu ? and it will use more memory ?
Exactly. TCx32 uses TCMDX64.exe to see the 64b context menu extensions and TCx64 uses TCMDX32.exe to see the 32b context menu extensions. And while TCMDX64.exe requires about 2MB of memory, TCMDX32.exe requires 5MB. But that may be different on your computer. Plus you need to enable it in TCx64 because by default it doesn't show 32b extensions at all.
Michael REMY wrote:And by the way, i didn't receive any email alert of your message.
There were some issues with Google email accounts, but I don't know if they are fixed or not.
ferenczy

Post by *ferenczy »

umbra wrote: Exactly. TCx32 uses TCMDX64.exe to see the 64b context menu extensions and TCx64 uses TCMDX32.exe to see the 32b context menu extensions. And while TCMDX64.exe requires about 2MB of memory, TCMDX32.exe requires 5MB. But that may be different on your computer. Plus you need to enable it in TCx64 because by default it doesn't show 32b extensions at all.
I have the same issue (ok, it's not an issue, that it stays running, but it consumes a LOT of resources, see ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=276124#276124). I'll be realy glad to find the solution.

And I have an additional (stupid) question - how can I get the "X32" context submenu in the 64bit TC? There isn't something like this in the context menu. I don't need it now, because it's empty yet (I have a fresh Windows 7 on the new laptop), I just wonder.

Thank you.
Dawid Ferenczy
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Add a line

Code: Select all

X64menu=1
to your wincmd.ini.
F1 4.b. INI-File settings :wincmd.ini wrote:X64menu= Show 'x64' submenu in context menu ('x32' in 64-bit version), default =1 in 32-bit only
HTH
Holger
ferenczy

Post by *ferenczy »

HolgerK wrote:Add a line

Code: Select all

X64menu=1
to your wincmd.ini.
F1 4.b. INI-File settings :wincmd.ini wrote:X64menu= Show 'x64' submenu in context menu ('x32' in 64-bit version), default =1 in 32-bit only
Thanks a lot, it works.
Dawid Ferenczy