COPY thinks to see a WRITE PROTECTION

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

heinz57g

COPY thinks to see a WRITE PROTECTION

Post by *heinz57g »

sorry, had posted this by mistake in the v7.5x section, please have it removed there. but it did actually refer to an old thread ...

it happens to me recently VERY often (and on latest TC version) when copying from external to internal drives, independent of file size, that i get a WRITE PROTECTION error (''please remove ...'').

it really says it cannot WRITE the file, and to remove the WRITE protection - which there isnt any. READ PROTECTION i would understand, but WRITE?

strangest thing is, when clicking RETRY, the file copies without problem, in 90% of the cases on first try, sometimes needs two.

when using another prog to copy, this error never occurs.

any idea? very bothersome ...

greetings - heinz -
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Maybe you need elevated permissions in order to write to that folder? Please tell more details: windows version, target folder location etc. Does Explorer copy files to that folder?
Vulpix

Post by *Vulpix »

I was kind of thinking along the lines of, say, writing a >4GB file to FAT32; but that would obviously not work on 2nd try. This sounds more like an anti-virus thing.

Some anti-virus solutions - especially on slow drives / slow computers - lock a file and scan it, before it can be accessed normally. Perhaps your antivirus is trying to scan the newly-created file and blocks write operations. In that case, retrying would help since the AV would have declared the file as "safe".
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

I had this "write protection" messages some years ago with some external drives only.
It helped to set option "Configuration - Options - Operation - Copy/Delete: Use compatibility mode for following drives"
Just enter the drive letter there.
#5767 Personal license
heinz57g

Post by *heinz57g »

>> Maybe you need elevated permissions in order to write ...

this plus the other points would then not work on repeated tries - which it does.

the antivirus issue and the other copy method seems more likely, will try and report back.

greetings - heinz -
siealex

Post by *siealex »

Does your external drive have automatic head parking or automatic standby mode? Try to disable them. It seems that TC does not wait for drive spinup, which may take up to 20 seconds.
We are not so S.M.A.R.T. as we imagine...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC cannot know anything about drive spinup - it just tells the system to copy the file (with CopyFileEx), and Windows does the rest. It should wait until the drive is accessible again, I see no reason why this should be a problem.

You may either have a hardware problem (causing write errors), or a permission problem, e.g. when you use the NTFS file system and transfer files between two computers. Files and folders which are not accesible for "enveryone" will cause troubles because user accounts are different between 2 computers even if the name is the same.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wh_tcmd

Post by *wh_tcmd »

ghisler(Author) wrote:TC cannot know anything about drive spinup - it just tells the system to copy the file (with CopyFileEx), and Windows does the rest. It should wait until the drive is accessible again, I see no reason why this should be a problem.

You may either have a hardware problem (causing write errors), or a permission problem, e.g. when you use the NTFS file system and transfer files between two computers. Files and folders which are not accesible for "enveryone" will cause troubles because user accounts are different between 2 computers even if the name is the same.
I am having the same symptoms (8.51a-64Bit, W10 Home 64 Bit- Build 10586.29)
I am backing up my NAS to an internal SATA Drive (2TB) - first use, formatted with standard settings of NTFS filesystem.
It may not be a Spin_up issue (I am backing up my NAS since hours, the Drive is spinning)
It may be not an Anti Virus topic (I disabled my Virus Scanner once i had the 1st symptoms and tried over an extended period of time to reover, i was only able to SKIP the file in question)
I assume it may be more of a filesystem issue, as I am recovering data from my NAS after a fatal crash of the RAID Subsystem.
What makes me curious and more convinced that it is a very subtle filesystem issue, is the fact, that it just happened again on backing up a file for which i do have (on another backup from Feb-3rd this year .e.q. 9 month ago), the remains of a temporary file left over. TC starts copying the file and seems to fail at the end of the copying process.
jblane

Post by *jblane »

I have a similar problem in my system but with external HDDs.
Windows 10 MB: Asus Z170-A (USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1)
The issue occurs with a couple of 4TB external hard drives (Samsung, Seagate) on the USB 3.0 ports. It doesn't happen on the 2.0 USB port.
When I copy files, if I use the TC's standard copy method those HDDs appear as "read-only" and the process must be stopped.
I know it can be a hardware-related problem, but if I use the "copy+paste via Explorer" option everything works fine.

Forgot to write that both Windows 10 and TC 8.52a are x64.