64b WDX plugins not recognized

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

umbra
Power Member
Power Member

64b WDX plugins not recognized

Post by *umbra »

1. Get any 64b WDX plugin with extension *.wdx64 .
  2. Register it by putting
    <plugin_number>=<path>\plugin.wdx
    into "[ContentPlugins]" section of your wincmd.ini .
  3. Start TCx64 .
You can find the plugin in the list of installed WDX plugins in Options. But you won't see it anywhere else - not in the Custom columns dialog, not in the Search dialog. It' because TCx64 doesn't recognize a 64b plugin until it accesses it for the first time. You can check that by adding
<plugin_number>=1
into "[ContentPlugins64]" section an restarting TC - the plugin will work now.

But while WCX and WLX plugins are accessed every time you use Lister on an unknown file or enter some previously unknown archive, this does not apply to WDX plugins. You can't use them until they are accessed for the first time, but they are not accessed until they are actually used. See the circular dependence?

This situation may happen for example when adding plugins manually or when adding TCx64 to an already existing installation of TCx32.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Just curious: What for are you installing a plugin manually?

To install a plugin. just do doubleclick on the zip/rar plugin file and it will install correctly and full automatically. Press OK if asked during install.
To be save you may install it at TC-64-bit ...
#5767 Personal license
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

I'm well aware of various ways of installing plugins. 8)
But OK, maybe this isn't a proper bug, just an inconsistency. Every time I add/remove a plugin I have to delete the whole 64b section in wincmd.ini so TCx64 can re-create it during its next run. And the inconsistency is that this is required only for WDX plugins, while other sections are refreshed automatically.
This can easily happen when someone updates the wincmd.ini manually, when different TC versions share the same configuration or when someone uses old plugin manager that doesn't know the above.
However, I must admit, that this is probably a low priority issue.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is not a bug - TC chaches the available 64-bit plugins in [ContentPlugins64] so it doesn't have to check on each launch (which could be very slow depending on the used virus scanner). Therefore if you decide to edit the ini manually, you will have to update or delete that section.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com