crash when synchronizing whole User directory for backup

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

hornerg

crash when synchronizing whole User directory for backup

Post by *hornerg »

It's months since my last back-up :oops: but something has happened to stop synchronize in the middle of reading directories - stops counting at about 68,000 directories when there are nearly 90,000 all together. Only task manager will kill it. I have run check disk on source and target and all is OK.

Is there any limit to the number of files/directories which can be compared with the synchronize utility? Or something else that may be causing this?

Win 7 x64 synchronizing from C: to a USB drive.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, hornerg.

I suggest to check how much RAM Total Commander has in use when you try to synchronize 90,000 folders. I suggest to check, too, how much free RAM is available. I tend to assume that your RAM may be too small for Total Commander to complete the task.
One more thing:
Do you use Total Commander 32-bit or Total Commander 64-bit?

Kind regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
hornerg

Post by *hornerg »

Many thanks, Karl.

It maxed out at 1.3GB with total RAM usage 74%. Actually, today I left it "hung" while I had lunch and when I got back the files were all displayed. There seems to be a time during which TC is doing something before updating the display, and the Abort button or escape key don't work then. Bug? Well it would be nice if whatever thread is running at that time could be interrupted. When I ran it again and timed it - just under 20 minutes of "Not responding".

I'm using 8.01 64-bit.

Graham
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Wow, that must be millions of files! Unfortunately this can take a while, so try to compare smaller parts at a time.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
hornerg

Post by *hornerg »

Yes. Turned out to be a load of map tiles holding things up - huge numbers of tiny pngs. Solution: zip them up and delete the originals.

Thanks to you both for the advice.
Graham