'Viewer for F3' settings are being ignored in search results

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

maro

'Viewer for F3' settings are being ignored in search results

Post by *maro »

First up my apologies if this has already been reported, I only did a brief search and I was not able to spot an earlier report. Likewise others might see the following not as a bug, but rather as a feature request. But as it clearly "bugs" me I decided to open it here:

After using 'Alt-F7' the 'Search results' list the files (and directories) that qualified given the search conditions. Any file in this list can be viewed by hitting the 'F3' key. That works great until one changes the 'Edit/View' configuration settings. In my case I've got lister plugins added to my installation, and this makes the 'Internal Viewer' a bit "sluggish". I'm therefore using the stand-alone 'lister.exe' (out of 'lister32.zip') as my 'External Viewer' that gets to respond to 'F3'. That also means that the "heavier" internal viewer now responds to 'Alt-F3'. This configuration works as expected in the "normal" file windows (including if the search results have been fed to a listbox). But in the 'Search results' file list when hitting the 'F3' key in all cases the "heavier" internal viewer jumps into gear.

I'd therefore like to suggest to apply the 'Viewer for F3' settings (i.e. for 'F3' as well as 'Alt-F3') to files listed in the 'Search results' instead of being "hard-wired" to use the internal viewer.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I don't know if this is a bug (didn't test it). Did you know you can use Alt+Shift+F3 to use the internal lister bypassing all lister plugins at its startup? That way the internal lister won't be sluggish. You can still switch to any plugin later using the 4 key.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I don't know if this is a bug either, but I agree that it would be expected that the use of F3 in the "Search result" window should respect the setting in 'Edit/View' configuration.

This also applies to using F3 in the "Synchronize directories" window.

So i support that it should be changed in the next version.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
maro

Post by *maro »

Dalai wrote:I don't know if this is a bug (didn't test it). Did you know you can use Alt+Shift+F3 to use the internal lister bypassing all lister plugins at its startup? That way the internal lister won't be sluggish. You can still switch to any plugin later using the 4 key.
A good point (and thanks for the tip). Nevertheless my view is that hitting a single key is much easier than finding those three.

IMHO the main reason for having this configuration option would be to let the user decide which action takes place when using the (most convenient) single key vs. the (less convenient) multi-key shortcuts.

So using 'Alt-Shift-F3' to me is a kind of work-around, whilst extending the reach where the 'Viewer for F3' setting applies would be the most desirable outcome.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

maro wrote:Nevertheless my view is that hitting a single key is much easier than finding those three.
[...]
So using 'Alt-Shift-F3' to me is a kind of work-around, whilst extending the reach where the 'Viewer for F3' setting applies would be the most desirable outcome.
Of course. Bugs should be fixed and I can now confirm the behaviour you reported. I currently don't know if this is a bug or intended behaviour. I agree that it would be much more consistent if F3 worked as expected and call the external viewer if TC is configured to do so.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately it's currently not possible to use external viewers in the search function. I tried to add it a while ago, but there are just too many problems. But you can use "Feed to listbox" and use the viewer from there.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

can I add a suggestion? Possibly it should solve and my problem too - that I can't use F4 in the search result window which lists the files (and directories) that qualified given the search conditions.

DO not create very simple TWidthListBox window - but create a small subversion of TMyTabControl: more precisely I suggest to you to take&use two elements from this control: TMyListBox + THeaderClick
SO search results window in this case will contain only those elements for which you have already created a working code - like use F3+F4+use external viewers and etc.
#146217 personal license