Changing Windows display size makes TC lose its font setting

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

aSchwarzie

Changing Windows display size makes TC lose its font setting

Post by *aSchwarzie »

Hi,

In regular mode, my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits displays a font size (Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display) defined as "Medium" size (125%).

Under this setting, my TC (8.01 32 or 64 bits) displays the file lists in the "Calibri" font, size 11 as defined in TC's Font configuration settings.
The wincmd.ini file (in roaming profile) among others also displays:
FontSize=11
FontName=Calibri

However, when changing the display setting in Windows from "Medium" 125%) to "Smaller" (100%), and after logging off/on again and restarting TC, the display font settings seem lost (reverted to 'default?). Also, the Font configuration settings in TC now display "Microsoft Sans Serif" size 8b (despite the wincmd.ini file *still* displays Calibri 11). The two other fotn settings are also affected.

It would appear to me that other settings were also discarded (like window width), but it's harder to tell.

Should this not be considered as a bug ?
Don't hesitate to request for trobleshooting info if needed.
Thanks for the support !
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

By default, TC keeps windows settings for different display settings in different sections with names like 1024x768 (10x20)], however you can set wincmd.ini option ResolutionSpecific to 0 if you want to use same settings for all display settings. Please refer to TOTALCMD.chm section 4.b for details.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC 8.5 now saves the font settings both in the resolution-specific section AND in the [AllResolutions] section. Therefore when you change resolution or font size, TC 8.5 will use the setting from [AllResolutions] when there is nothing in the resolution-specific section (or it is missing).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
aSchwarzie

Post by *aSchwarzie »

Thanks for both your answers. I went straight to update to 8.50 BETA 6 (64bits) to focus on the release that would be most worth working on and started experimenting these settings (and looking into the help file). Here are my findings:

1) when I remove in the resolution specific sections, i.e. from both sections [1920x1080 (8x16)] and [1920x1080 (10x20)], the font-related settings and only leave those in the [AllResolution], then they seem taken into consideration *only* when at the same time the ResolutionSpecific is explicitly set to 0. If it is missing, the "default" settings seem to apply.

2) when removing the ResolutionSpecific line (presumably defaulting to 1) I had to set the font settings explicitly for both DPI settings (the AllResolution were *not* used) for them to be visible.

I don't see much of a worry here, considering I've been toggling the ResolutionSpecific setting manually in the wincmd.ini file, unless you consider that there is a "transition" situation here that is not as you intended (i.e. not using the AllResolution settings when getting ResolutionSpecific).

Thanks for your support ! -- I'll edit the subject line with a "CLOSED" prefix if you agree this is suitable ?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Strange, they should be used also with ResolutionSpecific=1 now in the beta. I will check it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com