tcmdx64.exe consumes a lot of resources

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ferenczy

tcmdx64.exe consumes a lot of resources

Post by *ferenczy »

Hi there!

I have a problem with Total Commander 8.01 (32bit) installed on new laptop running on Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit). When I open context menu of any file or directory and then open the X64 submenu, process "tcmdx64.exe" starts and never ends. That's not a big deal, but it consumes a lot of system resources - about 12 % of processor time (what's realy very very much on the 8 core 2.4 GHz processor. All other processes in the sum consumes less than 10 % while I have running one Linux virtual machine, Opera browser with 70 opened tabs and a lot of other applications) and what's worse, it takes about 1 GB (yes, gigabyte) per minute of "other I/O operations" (that means not read nor write, but file stat etc.).

Total Commander 64bit works without problems. I wasn't able to debug this issue, nothing interesting seen with the SysInternals Process Monitor.

I have to kill the "tcmdx64.exe" process manualy to save my resources. I saw that I'm not the only one who experienced this issue, but couldn't found any solution. I tried to remove all extensions from the "X64" submenu with no luck.

Thank you for any idea.
Dawid Ferenczy
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

The best idea is to try TC 8.50 b12.
Also check your context menu entries and disable all non microsoft tools
using the sysinternals tool.
You will find one of it is the problem.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Horst.Epp wrote:...using the sysinternals tool...
NirSoft tool: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Regards
Holger
ferenczy

Post by *ferenczy »

Thanks for your suggestions, I know that tools but I thought that removing extensions in the TC should be enough. It consumed resources even when I removed all extensions from the context menu "Configure" dialog.

But the problem disappeared. That's good, but bad thing is that I don't know why. Yesterday I installed a lot of driver updates for my new laptop and today I have added the "X64menu=1" configuration directive to my "wincmd.ini". Now, when I open the "X64" submenu, "tcmdx64.exe" starts, but it consumes almost no resources (0 % of CPU and cca 20 MB of "Other I/O operations" for one context "X64" submenu opening). When I remove "X64menu=1" from the configuration, it still works without problems.

I'll be monitoring if the problem will appear again.
Dawid Ferenczy