Content of rar does not refresh

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

holde

Content of rar does not refresh

Post by *holde »

I tested the following only with rar - it is possible that zip, 7z and co have the same issue.

1) generate a rar of a specific file, eg test.bmp -> test.rar by using an external(!) packer. (context menu)
2) open the test.rar file with TC
3) delete the test.rar
4) rename test.bmp test.add
5) pack test.add again with the external packer
6) open test.rar & TC will show a file with the name test.bmp!
7) copy the test.rar to another folder
8) TC will show a file test.add

So TC seems to use an internal cache for the filenames which is not updated while an external program is changing the content.
At least step 3) should empty the cache
But that is not enough since the file could always be changed by an external program.

The problem does not appear if
a) I use the internal packer
b) I don't look into the compressed file (step 2)
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I can't confirm this issue. I followed your steps twice and tried both ways to pack files, Alt+F5 and context menu.

You should specify which software you are using, including version and bitness: TC, WinRAR and OS (Windows).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
holde

Post by *holde »

I use Win 7 64 bit, TC 8.52a, WinRAR 5.31 and can reproduce it again and again.
But I didn't restart the computer yet to verify the behaviour afterwards.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Not confirmed for TC 8.52a x64 under Windows 10
with WinRAR 5.31 x64
The renamed file is correctly shown from TC.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Still can't confirm. I tried TC 8.52a (32 and 64 bit) and WinRAR 5.31 (32 bit) on Win7 x64 now.

You should check whether the issue occurs if you use a fresh wincmd.ini

Code: Select all

totalcmd.exe /i="%temp%\fresh.ini"
and with default settings in WinRAR (rename HKCU\Software\WinRAR branch in registry).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
holde

Post by *holde »

I restarted the computer - but same issue.
But renaming the WinRar folder in the registry helped.

So something went wrong.
After knowing that it is WinRAR I have a guess:
I have still 2 rar versions installed (v4 and v5) and sometimes I start the v4. So this could be the way to mess it up.

Thanks - I would have thought that it was a problem with TC.
holde

Post by *holde »

I set in WinRAR my standard settings and I have my mentioned problem back :-(
I hope I can find out which setting is causing this problem.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Well, now that we know it's WinRAR you should check its settings when creating an archive. Compare them to the default values that are used after renaming the registry branch.

You can also export the WinRAR settings and defaults and use TC's compare by contents feature to look for differences.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

holde

Post by *holde »

I know now which setting of WinRAR is the reason:

In the settings for the default compression you have in the Tabsheet Time a combobox for the archivetime.
The default setting is system time.
Please change this setting to 'time of the newest file' and verify the behaviour again!

So finally it seems so whether it is not WinRAR but that TC does not realise that there is a change since the time and size of the file didn't change.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

holde wrote:In the settings for the default compression you have in the Tabsheet Time a combobox for the archivetime.
The default setting is system time.
Please change this setting to 'time of the newest file' and verify the behaviour again!
With this setting enabled I can confirm the behavior. Don't know if it's a bug, but it's somewhat unexpected. On the other hand I know there's a reason TC caches the last opened archive: it's simply faster to do so instead of re-reading the same archive again which will take some time on large archives...

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

holde

Post by *holde »

I can partly understand that it is caching the data but
a) if TC is deleting the file then it should also delete the cache for that file
and
b) if TC opens a cached file and fails to open the included data (F3 is causing a 'file not found' message) then it should try to reread it (or pop up at least an option for it).

I also have no idea how i can persuade TC to reread the container (STRG-R didn't work) Perhaps you know a way to do it?!
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

holde wrote:I can partly understand that it is caching the data but
a) if TC is deleting the file then it should also delete the cache for that file
No, not for that file but the last archive. TC caches only one archive, the last one that was opened; doesn't even matter which kind of archive.
I also have no idea how i can persuade TC to reread the container (STRG-R didn't work) Perhaps you know a way to do it?!
Open a different archive, which will then be in the cache so the previous archive will be re-read the next time it is opened.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

holde

Post by *holde »

Dalai wrote:
holde wrote:I can partly understand that it is caching the data but
No, not for that file but the last archive.
I was deleting the archive file (test.rar). And in that case the cache HAS to be emptied/deleted too.
And only since I recreated the archive file (same name, size and date) TC was thinking and used the cache of the deleted file/archive (test.rar)

I was trying to open another file to recreate the cache. It seems so whether TC is caching 1 archive per side (left & right window). So 2 in total. So opening an archive on the opposite side won't help.

The reason why I found this behaviour was that i had to send some file via email. But gmail didnt like the exe-file in the compressed file. So i renamed it and recreated the archive. And when I was checking whether all went well TC listed again the file with the exe extension in the rar-archive. So I recreated the rar again and again till i realised that there is no real error in the archive but TC was playing with meand gave me the wrong information.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC does not re-read an archive when the new archive has the exact same size AND timestamp. You will have to enter a different archive first to force a refresh, or close and re-open TC.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
holde

Post by *holde »

This I understand (more or less) - performance reasons.

But,
timestamp seems to be in TC the modification time (is equal)
the creation time is however different (and this would mean that the archive is certainly not the same anymore)
Shouldn't be size, creation and modification time the same for not re-reading?
Please correct me when I am wrong!

And I still don't understand - perhaps there is a reason - why TC is not re-reading the archive after TC deleted the archive in the meanwhile?