Verification stage: strange operation title in dialog

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Verification stage: strange operation title in dialog

Post by *Flint »

There are several issues concerning the operation name in the Copy dialog when verification stage is going. I'm talking about the very first text label, located right below the dialog titlebar.

1. Start copying a large file with "Verify" option on (file should be large enough to give you 5-10 seconds on the verification stage).
2. When verification starts, the operation title freezes on the last text it contained, like "Copy: 67 211 kbytes/s", which is misleading.
3. Move the operation dialog to background, then back to foreground.
4a. Now the text is "CRC check:". If changing this label is intentional, it should be performed at the moment verification starts, not when user switched background-foreground.
4b. The text displayed as the label seems to be taken from the parentehsis of the translation line 1139, which (at least with our Russian translation) looks terrible: it's a scrap of message, ripped from context and totally inconsistent by its grammatical form. I suggest to use either full string, or create a new translation line for this case (it may be optional, so that if the translation is not present, TC could use the same mechanism as now, to avoid necessity of immediate requesting all the translations).

P.S. The post is edited after more detailed exploration of the p.4b.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
MarcinW
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Verification stage: strange operation title in dialog

Post by *MarcinW »

Flint wrote: 4a. Now the text is "CRC check:". If changing this label is intentional, it should be performed at the moment verification starts, not when user switched background-foreground.
I suppose that TC refreshes some labels periodically, to avoid slowing the whole operation down.

But during important changes (like from copy phase to verify phase) it would be in fact better to repaint labels immediately.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

MarcinW wrote:I suppose that TC refreshes some labels periodically, to avoid slowing the whole operation down.
It indeed is (which you can see when copying stage is going: the speed and remaining time is updated about once per second). However, when verification stage begins, the label freezes and is no longer updated, no matter how long the operation takes.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will check it, thanks.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com