Find Files RegEx vs Search RegEx in Lister

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SailorMax

Find Files RegEx vs Search RegEx in Lister

Post by *SailorMax »

Steps:
1. create in directory 2 files: in UTF-8 format and in "Text only" format with text "aaabbbccc"
2. Press Alt-F7 on the directory, turn on "Find text", enter "ab{2,}c", turn on RegEx, press Enter
> Total commander will find both files
3. select first file from list, press F3, press Ctrl-F, press Enter
4. select second file from list, press F3, press Ctrl-F, press Enter

Exp.: find in both files places with our substring

Act.: in UTF-8 files Lister can't search RegExp => can't find substring positions. But File Finder can, in result we have strange situation...

thank you.
Ovg
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Ovg »

Can't confirm for TC 8.52a x32/x64 under Win 7 x32/x64
For me work fine in both cases
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
#259941, TC 11.01 x64, Windows 7 SP1 x64
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

I can confirm on Windows 7 x64 with TC 8.52a x64.

Note that the sequence as described by SailorMax has to be followed exactly. Also notice that the 'Regex' checkbox is not visible in the lister search dialog when the view mode is either Unicode or UTF-8 -- which is an indicator that regex search is not really being supported for UTF and Unicode encodings (yet?).

Interestingly, following SailorMax' steps but instead of CTRL+F and ENTER in the lister just pressing F3 makes the lister use the regex search pattern (inherited from the "Find files" dialog) without problems even when in in UTF-8 view mode. I guess that's what Ovg did...

I guess that the behavior observed by SailorMax is an incidental side effect of the example files being made of ASCII characters only. Remember that ASCII characters (not including extended/high ASCII characters) are represented in UTF-8 by their original ASCII byte codes.

By the way, enabling UTF-8 search in the "File find" dialog will uncheck the RegEx checkbox and vice versa -- which i take as a further indication that TC's regex search does not yet properly support UTF-8/UNICODE encodings.

I guess the situation will be resolved when TC's regex engine will gain proper support for UTF and Unicode encodings.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is a known limitation of TC 8.x. I have already added regex search for TC 9 in March. Unfortunately TC9 developement is currently stalling: I could not find an icon designer yet who could create icons in Windows 8/10 non-flat style, and handling background colors and tab icons by directory is also stalling (I find the method in twinkey too complex for the average user, but couldn't find a better solution yet).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
handling background colors and tab icons by directory is also stalling
Mh I looked at the solution in twinkey and saw that there is a dropdown with a color-chooser. Is it the way the color is selected or the whole setting to dir assignment that makes trouble? Would be great if you could elaborate this in more detail.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Selecting the color or the icons isn't a problem, I have already added that. The problem is how to let the user choose in which directories to use which color scheme. If I implement that like in twinkey, I'm sure that only a handful of users would actually use it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
hlloyge

Post by *hlloyge »

Hidden+system file in folder with settings for color and icon?
tc_color.set
color=blue
icon=iconlibrary.lib,7(file in tc folder, number of icon)