Delete-to-trash doesn't work on mapped drives

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ThiefMaster

Delete-to-trash doesn't work on mapped drives

Post by *ThiefMaster »

I mapped a drive letter to a folder using the persistent method described here: http://superuser.com/questions/29072/how-to-make-subst-mapping-persistent-across-reboots (registry entry in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\DOS Devices]).

This works perfectly fine for pretty much everything, but when deleting a file using TC from such a drive it always deletes even if TC is configured to delete to trash. On a regular disk deleting to trash works fine.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, ThiefMaster.

Does Explorer delete to trash when deleting files or folders from the mapped drives?
If Explorer does, but TC does not, you may want to check that TC has been configured to use the Windows Explorer delete method.
(The default is not to use it, because the TC method is more flexible.)

Cheers,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC does not support deleting to trash on network drives. Windows itself usually doesn't support it. There are some hacks which make it work in Windows, but TC doesn't support them because I couldn't find a way to detect them.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ThiefMaster

Post by *ThiefMaster »

In this case it's not really a network drive (it's listed like the normal drive, even the drive's displayed name is the same).

Maybe TC could actually read that registry key and treat such drives like the underlying folders?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

ThiefMaster,
I've tried to subst some folder, and even Windows Explorer doesn't support deleting to recycle bin in such drives so I don't think it is a TC problem.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

IIRC, back in the Win9x days substed drives were seen as network drives by the OS. Maybe that's still the case today, in some aspects at least, here delete confirmation.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ThiefMaster

Post by *ThiefMaster »

I don't think the registry entry is comparable to the "real" subst.exe

Anyway, I just checked it myself and you are right, explorer also doesn't support trash deletion for it.

It would still be a nice TC feature to support deletion for this (read the registry key and if it's a mapped drive use the "real" path for deletion)