Empty Drive Combobox when option "Allowed" is set

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

KyleK

Empty Drive Combobox when option "Allowed" is set

Post by *KyleK »

Using TotalCommander 8.52a, I noticed at some point that the drive combobox didn't show any drive letters anymore.

I've tracked the issue down to the ini variable "Allowed". If it is set to any value, e.g. "Allowed=CDE\", drive letters are not shown.
If I remove the variable from the config file, the drive combobox is correctly filled again.

I've observed this behavior on a Surface Pro 3 using Windows 10 Insider Preview (Build 14257). I have 2 partitions, C and E, as well as 3 network drives (X, Y and Z).

I cannot say if this is an issue with older version of Total Commander, or if this also happens on older versions of Windows.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Sorry but you have drive C, E and some network drives.
Then you go ahead and tell TC forbid access to drive C, D, E and Network (aka \) and then you expect what to see but an empty combo box??????
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2KyleK
Not confirmed - 'Allowed' works as expected here. Mapped network drives can be set to allowed/disallowed no matter if \ is set or not.

I'm using Windows 7 and TC 8.52 (64 bit).
KyleK

Post by *KyleK »

@Sir_SiLvA: I believe the "Allowed" option in the config file is a whitelist. So if I set "Allowed=CDE\", I should see drives C and E (since I don't have D on my computer). But I don't. The drive combobox is empty.

Two things I should mention:

1) I hadn't made a change to my TotalCommander config in months. This happened "on its own", which makes me believe this is a problem with Windows 10 14257.

2) What supports this fact is that the drive buttonbar shows all my drives just fine.

Maybe some API change in Windows that TC uses to gather drive letters or something?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2KyleK

I can not reproduce this on my Windows 10 version 1511 (build 10586.104) with neither 64bit nor 32bit TC (you don't mention your bitnes of TC)

Could you try to start your TC with a new clean totalcmd.ini file where the only change you make is adding the Allowed=CDE\ parameter - maybe it is not that parameter alone that is needed to reproduce the error.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
KyleK

Post by *KyleK »

2petermad
That's exactly what I did, actually.
When th drive box wasn't working, I renamed my ini to start from scratch. And there it worked just fine.
But you know how it is, our TC configs are carefully crafted, not something you give up easily :)

So I went through many many settings until I finally ran into "Allowed", which triggers the strange behaviour.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe you had more than one Allowed= line in the ini? If yes, only the first will be used.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com