[9.0a x64] Can't del sub-folders in folder accessed as Admin

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This should be fixed in TC 9.10 beta, please test it!

16.01.17 Fixed: Could not delete subdirs in folders accessed "As administrator", e.g. belonging to other users (32/64)
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
elgonzo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *elgonzo »

More or less fixed.
(Tested with TC32/64 9.10RC1 on Win7 x64)

Deletion of the folders with privilege escalation works now, but still requiring the arbitrary step of visiting the folder prior to deletion.

I̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶i̶c̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶c̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶l̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶"̶I̶W̶a̶n̶t̶D̶e̶l̶e̶t̶e̶T̶h̶i̶s̶"̶ ̶(̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶x̶a̶m̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶)̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶d̶ ̶l̶o̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶c̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶l̶a̶y̶ ̶(̶i̶n̶ ̶T̶C̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶r̶m̶a̶l̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶t̶r̶i̶c̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶)̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶u̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶n̶d̶i̶c̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶l̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶t̶r̶i̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶(̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶l̶e̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶n̶o̶r̶m̶a̶l̶"̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶,̶ ̶r̶e̶q̶u̶i̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶p̶e̶c̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶l̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶)̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶a̶d̶l̶o̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶l̶u̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶e̶l̶s̶e̶?̶

̶A̶n̶y̶w̶a̶y̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶u̶e̶ ̶p̶u̶r̶p̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶a̶d̶l̶o̶c̶k̶ ̶i̶c̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶l̶a̶y̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶i̶t̶:̶ ̶O̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶T̶C̶3̶2̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶T̶C̶6̶4̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶(̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶s̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶g̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶s̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶9̶.̶0̶1̶a̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶i̶c̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶ ̶n̶o̶r̶m̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶T̶C̶6̶4̶.̶.̶.̶)̶ ̶L̶e̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶e̶p̶a̶r̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶u̶n̶r̶e̶l̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶c̶u̶s̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶.̶
Begrudgingly back to Windows... now 11... sigh... but i have no nerve for Linux desktop anymore...
elgonzo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *elgonzo »

Forget about the padlock overlay thing i mentioned before. It's not related to TC but a thing the system does and which i failed to notice since the padlock overlay icon will not be shown in the file/folder list but only in the folder tree of a 32-bit file dialog (i use Win7 x64, hence why file dialog of a 32-bit program), which in itself is weird, since other icon overlays are shown in the file/folder list. Anyway, nothing to do with TC, so that's that...

However, this leaves the Delete function with privilege escalation still wanting, as TC does not in any form give a clue to the user about the divergent behavior and requirements of the delete function depending on where/when the user provides the admin credentials (running whole TC with admin privileges vs. only executing the Delete action with the same admin privileges). From a user perspective, this difference in behavior/required user actions is arbitrary, illogical and entirely unexpected.

At minimum, the user should be informed about what Total Commander expects them to do to be able to delete such folders. This could for example be achieved by the dialog which tells the user that deletion of the folder failed also telling the user that they need to first visit the folder beforehand to be able to delete it.
Begrudgingly back to Windows... now 11... sigh... but i have no nerve for Linux desktop anymore...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

requiring the arbitrary step of visiting the folder prior to deletion
This is fully intentional and will not be changed.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
elgonzo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *elgonzo »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
requiring the arbitrary step of visiting the folder prior to deletion
This is fully intentional and will not be changed.
I don't insist on changing it, but would like to insist on letting the user know about this. There really is no good reason to keep the user in the dark.