Tabs lose settings

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

vicsha

Tabs lose settings

Post by *vicsha »

My tabs are continuously broken. The main issue is that I lock the tab as "locked, but directory changes allowed" But after several sessions the tab keeps the name but send me to a different folder. This mean the next time I close and open TC and click the tab, it is broken. Also in meantime I didn't change the settings or configuration.

This was not happening in older versions. I typically open several instances of TC at same time. :roll:
vicsha

Post by *vicsha »

IF that makes any sense this is the INI of the tabs. I see a different pattern in the tab that has problems in this case, called Composition. It doesn't follow the structure of the other tabs. By the way that is also the third tab but that number doesn't appear there or the path. The section of rightabs finish there
[righttabs]
0_path=f:\___Screen_Captures\
0_caption=Scre
0_options=1|3|1|0|0|2|0|
1_path=g:\2017\Streets \
1_caption=StVe
1_options=1|0|0|0|0|2|0|
2_path=f:\_Tin\
2_caption=Tiny
2_options=1|3|1|0|0|2|0|
3_path=i:\_Programs\
3_caption=Prog
3_options=1|0|0|0|0|2|0|
4_path=i:\___Downloads\
4_caption=Dowi
4_options=1|3|1|0|0|2|0|
activetab=2
activelocked=2
activecaption=Compositions
[RightHistory]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If you use "Locked but directory changes allowed", TC will normally show the name of the locked dir as the tab title. But you can change the name via right click on the tab - rename/lock tab. Then this name will be stored in the tabs section in wincmd.ini.

If you encounter a case where the title is lost, then please send step by step instructions how to reproduce it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
vicsha

Post by *vicsha »

The title is kept but the path changes over time. Normally in a couple of days some of my paths are changed involuntarily and after a week half of them.
Not sure how this happen except the fact I have lots of Total commanders open simultaneously, 3 or 4. But I'm user of this programs since the 90s and this is the first time it happens. It only appeared in the last months, perhaps since last version.
My only workaround is to save the ini and overwrite it periodically with the no corrupted one.
If nobody has this issue, perhaps it is a problem of my installation? A clean install would help? It is possible to install another instance of Total commander that uses a different configuration?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Difficult to say what you are doing to cause this. Maybe the path becomes invalid, e.g. a directory being deleted, or a network drive which is temporarily inaccessible?
vicsha

Post by *vicsha »

None of them are deleted and all are local folders, no network. Also it happens in a systematic way. A couple of days and tabs start to fail.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Strange, I've been using "locked, but directory changes allowed" daily for many years without having this problem.

Please let me know if you (or anyone else) finds reliable steps to reproduce the problem. Maybe it only happens after using certain functions, e.g. disconnecting from an FTP server on such a locked tab or something similar?