Copy NTFS privilages - how it works?

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Zygus

Copy NTFS privilages - how it works?

Post by *Zygus »

Hi. Can You explain how this function works?
For example i am copying (under Win7) a folder from Program Files to another drive (from C: to D:).
It is copied to some folder for example D:\ProgramFilesMirror.
This folder has own set of privilages, other than the C:\Program Files and different set than source folder.
If I don't use this "copy ntfs privilages" the copied folder inherits privilages from ProgramFilesMirror.
So I would expect that if I use the mentioned option i will get the effect where copied folder will retain original set of privilages and all subfiles and subfolders will inherit from it.
But even if the option is checked the result is exactly the same as without checking NTFS privilages options.
Is this work somehow or it is only for fun?

EDIT: it seems that it works but in different way i was thinking. It doesn't touch the zone where privilages are inherited. But if they are not inherited, they will be copied. But it makes that this option has any sense if we are copying starting from the highest folder in the directory tree because in most cases all rest folders and files are inheriting privilages so this function will give nothing.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The functions are quite complex - please contact me by e-mail if you want to see the code.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Zygus

Post by *Zygus »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The functions are quite complex - please contact me by e-mail if you want to see the code.
Well, i could look into code, although I am not advanced programmer. I expect it can be complicated because whole Windows privilages system is not easy but complicated.
But I think I got a grip how it works (EDIT section of my post).
It could be implemented in other way, but it is hard to say if there is one proper way to implement this.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Zygus wrote:
ghisler(Author) wrote:The functions are quite complex - please contact me by e-mail if you want to see the code.
Well, i could look into code, although I am not advanced programmer. I expect it can be complicated because whole Windows privilages system is not easy but complicated.
But I think I got a grip how it works (EDIT section of my post).
It could be implemented in other way, but it is hard to say if there is one proper way to implement this.
There are many Windows documents on the net
which explains you the NTFS basics and advanced features.
This is not the forum to teach you NTFS
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Zygus

Post by *Zygus »

Did i ask for explanation of NTFS privileges?
Why are You just jumping out of the box without reason?