Custom columns & Search list box – no extension shown

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

elgonzo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *elgonzo »

Dalai wrote:When feeding search results to the list the extension is always shown directly behind the name. The extension column is shown to be able to sort by it.
Shouldn't search results show the full path instead of only the file name as shown in the screenshots? (unless there is some ini setting i don't know about...)
Begrudgingly back to Windows... now 11... sigh... but i have no nerve for Linux desktop anymore...
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

hugobruno wrote:[...] since default columns are faulty especially in opposite to custom ones
Faulty in which way?
[..] and cannot be deleted for no reason. :roll:
There is a reason: you cannot sort a column when it's deleted.

2elgonzo
The screenshots clearly show additional columns (=custom columns). Furthermore, the same directory "CfgData" appears multiple times, which cannot be the case in normal listing. My conclusion: the screenshots most likely show a search result that was fed to the list and a custom columns view is active. When a search result is fed to the list the full path is not shown anymore.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
User919

Post by *User919 »

Dalai wrote:
hugobruno wrote:[...] since default columns are faulty especially in opposite to custom ones
Faulty in which way?

Faulty in way:
1) Extension column is not fed with extensions unless settings are on to.
2) Name column is not able to sort.

There is a reason: you cannot sort a column when it's deleted.

Sorry, this is not a reason. If I delete something I do not want to sort by that.

“screenshots most likely show a search result that was fed to the list”

Sorry, the title of post is about custom columns with search results, i.e. search results fed to listbox.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

I get the same views as hugobruno.

If you switch to a 'custom view mode' (with integrated 'custom columns view') after "Feed to listbox",
then the Name and Extension columns will not be splitted, regardless of whether they are set to "aligned (with tab)" or not.

For me, the question arises, if one could not change that, so that one does not have to create an additional column
for the purpose of sorting by filename extension which is already unchangeable available in the 'custom columns view'.

Last edited by tuska on 2017-12-19, 19:09 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
elgonzo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *elgonzo »

Dalai wrote: The screenshots clearly show additional columns (=custom columns). [...]
Ah, yes. You are right. Didn't know that full paths are not shown when a custom columns view is active. :)
Begrudgingly back to Windows... now 11... sigh... but i have no nerve for Linux desktop anymore...
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

tuska wrote:If you switch to a 'custom view mode' (with integrated 'custom columns view') after "Feed to listbox", then the Name and Extension columns will not be splitted, regardless of whether they are set to "aligned (with tab)" or not.
There is no need to use a custom view mode. The custom columns view after (or before) feeding to listbox alone is enough. And for the record: the extension has never been shown in the extension column after feeding search results to listbox.
For me, the question arises, if one could not change that, so that one does not have to create an additional column for the purpose of sorting by filename extension which is already unchangeable available in the 'custom columns view'.
Huh? Why create an additional column? You can sort by extension via the default extension column just fine. It doesn't matter whether or not the extension is shown in its own column.
hugobruno wrote:Faulty in way:
1) Extension column is not fed with extensions unless settings are on to.
1) See above: No bug but intended behavior.
2) Must be some new bug in newer TC versions. I can sort by any (custom) column just fine in TC 8.52a. Please provide exact steps on how to reproduce this bug.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
User919

Post by *User919 »

tuska wrote:I get the same views as hugobruno.

If you switch to a 'custom view mode' (with integrated 'custom columns view') after "Feed to listbox",
then the Name and Extension columns will not be splitted, regardless of whether they are set to "aligned (with tab)" or not.

For me, the question arises, if one could not change that, so that one does not have to create an additional column
for the purpose of sorting by filename extension which is already unchangeable available in the 'custom columns view'.
I cannot observe even this behavior. Sorry it is bug. Also I’m not a magician but user of file manager.
User919

Post by *User919 »

Huh? Why create an additional column? You can sort by extension via the default extension column just fine. It doesn't matter whether or not the extension is shown in its own column.
This is half a true. Some function is there but it looks like if there is not.
1) See above: No bug but intended behavior.
2) Must be some new bug in newer TC versions. I can sort by any (custom) column just fine in TC 8.52a. Please provide exact steps on how to reproduce this bug.
1) If this is intended I have no words.
2) Maybe it sort also with path internal since another try sort the results in much better way (but definitely not 100 % good).
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2Dalai
I agree with you on all points.
I have overlooked that the extension column exists and can be sorted, although in this nothing is displayed.
Please consider my opinion as irrelevant.

2hugobruno
I agree with you if you think the view should be optimized.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Well here in my TC it is. The screenshots you provide to prove that name sorting doesn't work only show directories - so I guess you have set "Options" -> "Display" -> "Sorting directories" to "Always by name" and that is why you don't see any name sorting taking place...?
Last edited by petermad on 2017-12-19, 22:38 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
User919

Post by *User919 »

petermad wrote:
Well here in my TC it is. The screenshots you provide to prove that name sorting dosn't work only show directories - so I guess you have set "Options" -> "Display" -> "Sorting directories" to "Always by name" and that is why you don't see any name sorting taking place...?
I have got sorting set to “Like files (also by time)”.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Notice that sorting by name (1st fixed column) in Search List is always done for the full path, also in Custom View where only the file or folder name is shown in the Name column - so in custom view sorting by name is not done by the visible names. If you want to sort by the visible names you have to make an extra Name column and sort by that.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
User919

Post by *User919 »

petermad wrote:Notice that sorting by name (1st fixed column) in Search List is always done for the full path, also in Custom View where only the file or folder name is shown in the Name column - so in custom view sorting by name is not done by the visible names. If you want to sort by the visible names you have to make an extra Name column and sort by that.
This is true.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

petermad wrote:Notice that sorting by name (1st fixed column) in Search List is always done for the full path, also in Custom View where only the file or folder name is shown in the Name column - so in custom view sorting by name is not done by the visible names. If you want to sort by the visible names you have to make an extra Name column and sort by that.
Indeed. I didn't know that. So it's not a bug after all, although I have to admit that I didn't expect TC to behave like this ...

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

User919

Re: Custom columns & Search list box – no extension shown

Post by *User919 »

Problems still persists – 9.22a 64. In search result:
1. Extension is merged to file name with dot – built-in extension column is empty.
2. File names are ordered via full filename although they are shown in simple form (with extension).
3. Cannot remove built-in Name and Extension columns. (So I am obligate to face their faulty function. :-))