[9.21a] Text comparison not displaying certain text

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

[9.21a] Text comparison not displaying certain text

Post by *deus-ex »

Text comparison does not display certain lines of text, depending on the configured font. Only when switching to binary comparison the string in question is correctly visualized. For example I have configured "Lucida Console" as the comparison font.

Test set with content taken from XnViewMP's xnview.ini showcasing the issue: download
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [9.21a] Text comparison not displaying certain text

Post by *petermad »

License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

Hi petermad,

thanks for your response and providing the screenshot, which help a lot to narrow down the issue further. From your screenshot I noticed that your font size is set to "7", whereas I'm using "17". When I change the size to "7" the string is displayed fine here too, but with a font size of "10" or higher the string isn't displayed anymore. It appears to be a lack of available space required by each character at a certain font size to be displayed properly. The binary comparison isn't limited by the font size due to the structured display with spacing between each character, even with the highest selectable font size of "78" for "Luciada Console" the string gets displayed here.

So either I have to go with a smaller font size setting, or try finding another font that suits me and doesn't have this limitation.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

deus-ex wrote: 2018-09-13, 15:01 UTCyour font size is set to "7", whereas I'm using "17".
How did you get size 17 (seventeen)? There is NO such a size.

Note also that if you need to use larger font (and icon) sizes, in most cases it is better to change globally desktop settings rather than dig in settings for every separate program.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

How did you get size 17 (seventeen)? There is NO such a size.
You can manually enter values into the drop-down list. For my setup I found that particular value actually fitting better than the available "16" or "18". Meanwhile I have found another font to replace Lucida Console, and once more I ended up using individual font sizes that I had to enter myself.
Note also that if you need to use larger font (and icon) sizes, in most cases it is better to change globally desktop settings rather than dig in settings for every separate program.
Yes, I do know that and I already visited and changed those settings beforehand. While sometimes you cannot achieve satisfying results for a certain case adjusting global settings, application individual settings to fine tune do come in handy, like in this particular case. Thank you for hinting, though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I can confirm the problem, but it looks like a Windows bug to me, so I will probably not be able to fix it. I will check it in the debugger. In general, the compare tool isn't well suited for very long names without line breaks.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

deus-ex wrote: 2018-09-13, 18:30 UTCYou can manually enter values into the drop-down list. For my setup I found that particular value actually fitting better than the available "16" or "18".
If you can see text properly displayed for predefined font sizes (test Lucida Console with size 16) or for other monospaced fonts (test similar Dejavu Sans Mono and more narrow Ubuntu Mono font), it may be a problem with the way how MS programmers "fixed" some security holes in font rendering libraries. They (in MS) tend to provide quick updates that block buggy features (completely of partially) and only then start to work on real fix (or ignore fix if users don't complain too loudly about missing features).
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator