The cache remains even if copying from Google Drive to the local folder

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bessabassa

The cache remains even if copying from Google Drive to the local folder

Post by *bessabassa »

When copying from Google Drive to a local folder, a huge cache is stored.
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
The cache in this folder does not disappear when you complete the copy or quit the totalcommander.
I tried standard copy and big file copy mode, but both leave a huge cache.
I'm going to copy 80gb, but the cache is too big.
How can I copy without leaving cache?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The cache remains even if copying from Google Drive to the local folder

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC doesn't create this cache, it's created by the used Internet* functions, which indirectly use Internet Explorer for http access.
Try changing the cache options directly in Internet Explorer (even if you don't use it otherwise).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
bessabassa

Post by *bessabassa »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-06-11, 15:05 UTC TC doesn't create this cache, it's created by the used Internet* functions, which indirectly use Internet Explorer for http access.
Try changing the cache options directly in Internet Explorer (even if you don't use it otherwise).
i changed Internet Explorer cache options
Temporary Internet Files tab
Every time I visit the webpage or Never
I tried both
Disk space to use 50
Caches and databases tab
Allow website caches and databases Uncheck
But there is still a cache created when copying from Google Drive.
It is bigger than 50Mb.
What should I do?
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

bessabassa wrote: 2019-06-11, 21:41 UTC But there is still a cache created when copying from Google Drive.
It is bigger than 50Mb.
Only 50 MiB? It looks like a code for a single GoogleDrive page: huge JavaScript files, large css files, some HTML files and webfonts…
bessabassa wrote: 2019-06-11, 21:41 UTCWhat should I do?
Change internet settings to delete browsing history and temp file on closing browser?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
bessabassa

Post by *bessabassa »

Usher wrote: 2019-06-12, 00:02 UTC Only 50 MiB? It looks like a code for a single GoogleDrive page: huge JavaScript files, large css files, some HTML files and webfonts…
not only 50MIB.
For example, when I download a 1GB video file, 1GB of video cache create.
Usher wrote: 2019-06-12, 00:02 UTC Change internet settings to delete browsing history and temp file on closing browser?
I already tried it,But that is the option to clear the cache when I quit the browser,
the cache is not cleared when I quit Total Commander when Total Commander completes the copy.
It needs to launch and exit the internet explorer browser.
I do not want to create a video cache.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Unfortunately, it's a well known IE "feature". If you don't use IE, you should use either system tools for disk cleanup or external programs like CrapCleaner. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026616/windows-10-disk-cleanup
Note that system cleanup may delete local copies of files downloaded from OneDrive or move your local copies downloaded form GoogleDrive to OneDrive, if you don't configure it properly.

There's also another solution - use better browser (which creates only one copy, like Firefox) and download manager (which can catch download from the browser and create a copy in any place outside user "Download" library, like FDM).
Andrzej P. Wozniak
bessabassa

Post by *bessabassa »

I do not use OneDrive.
I have CCleaner, but I think it is faster to delete the cache manually.
download from a browser?
I think they will be zip files when downloading large size files.
I think that maybe only the copy in Total Commander will not change the Update date.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

bessabassa wrote: 2019-06-13, 20:29 UTCI have CCleaner, but I think it is faster to delete the cache manually.
CCleaner allows you to do it with one click:
https://www.ghacks.net/2012/06/04/run-ccleaner-silently-with-a-click-on-a-shortcut/
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/clean-up-your-windows-right-click-menu-with-ccleaner/
bessabassa wrote: 2019-06-13, 20:29 UTCdownload from a browser?
I think they will be zip files when downloading large size files.
Firefox may leave duplicates in %TEMP% folder (NOT in its cache) only when you open files (zip, pdf, xpi, torrent etc.) in the browser (to view in the browser or to pass to another app). If you just select "download" there will be no duplicate left.
bessabassa wrote: 2019-06-13, 20:29 UTCI think that maybe only the copy in Total Commander will not change the Update date.
Good download managers preserve timestamps for downloads. TC plugin is needed to preserve timestamps for uploads only.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
bessabassa

Post by *bessabassa »

Thank you for the trick about CCleaner
Usher wrote: 2019-06-14, 02:05 UTC Firefox may leave duplicates in %TEMP% folder (NOT in its cache) only when you open files (zip, pdf, xpi, torrent etc.) in the browser (to view in the browser or to pass to another app). If you just select "download" there will be no duplicate left.
I tried to open the zip file and video file, but did not leave duplicates in the %TEMP% folder.
And often when I open Google Drive with firefox, the browser becomes unresponsive.
It may be because the performance of my pc is not good.
So that is not a practical way for me.
Usher wrote: 2019-06-14, 02:05 UTCGood download managers preserve timestamps for downloads. TC plugin is needed to preserve timestamps for uploads only.
I usually use IDM, I changed to this option
https://ccm.net/faq/31129-idm-use-the-file-creation-date-provided-by-the-download-source
but The downloaded file changed the creation date and the update date.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

bessabassa wrote: 2019-06-14, 15:41 UTC I tried to open the zip file and video file, but did not leave duplicates in the %TEMP% folder.
It may happen sometimes (f.e. when Firefox crashes on closing), when you open files directly in Firefox. And you may easy overlook some files, because they have other extensions (*.tmp or *.part).
bessabassa wrote: 2019-06-14, 15:41 UTCAnd often when I open Google Drive with firefox, the browser becomes unresponsive. It may be because the performance of my pc is not good.
It's because Google deliberately writes code that works well only in Chromium-based browsers. You should have less problems when using 64-bit OS and browser, but I use Firefox 52.9.0 on Windows XP (old 2 core CPU, 2 GiB RAM) and I have problems only when Firefox memory usage goes beyond 1 GiB. However, they may be problems with some Firefox extensions…
bessabassa wrote: 2019-06-14, 15:41 UTCI usually use IDM, I changed to this option
https://ccm.net/faq/31129-idm-use-the-file-creation-date-provided-by-the-download-source
but The downloaded file changed the creation date and the update date.
You can turn off IDM and test Free Download Manager instead with similar option set. However, Google programmers still dig in their API code so whatever goes OK today may go wrong tomorrow.

But all those things are off topic on this forum…
Andrzej P. Wozniak
bessabassa

Post by *bessabassa »

Usher wrote: 2019-06-16, 16:26 UTC It may happen sometimes (f.e. when Firefox crashes on closing), when you open files directly in Firefox. And you may easy overlook some files, because they have other extensions (*.tmp or *.part).
I installed Firefox 52.9.0 anew and opened the zip file and the video file again, but I did not leave files of .tmp or .part in %TEMP% folder.
I used Everything to look in other places, but there was no newly created .tmp or .part file.
Usher wrote: 2019-06-16, 16:26 UTC It's because Google deliberately writes code that works well only in Chromium-based browsers. You should have less problems when using 64-bit OS and browser, but I use Firefox 52.9.0 on Windows XP (old 2 core CPU, 2 GiB RAM) and I have problems only when Firefox memory usage goes beyond 1 GiB. However, they may be problems with some Firefox extensions…
i see. That doesn't occur that much with Firefox 52.9.0 which I installed newly.It may be because have not put an extension and a bookmark.
Usher wrote: 2019-06-16, 16:26 UTCYou can turn off IDM and test Free Download Manager instead with similar option set. However, Google programmers still dig in their API code so whatever goes OK today may go wrong tomorrow.
I changed the option of FDM 3.9.7
New Downlod> Advanced> Miscellaneous tab
Set the date of a file specific to the date specified by the server,
check
I downloaded it, but changed the creation date and update date.
Usher wrote: 2019-06-16, 16:26 UTC But all those things are off topic on this forum…
sorry. I thought that it was a bug of Total Commander, but it was a feature of internet explorer.