Disable confirmations for Copy & Move

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

arko

Disable confirmations for Copy & Move

Post by *arko »

I might be missing something, but searching via Google yields little useful results:

Code: Select all

disable confirmation ghisler(Author) site:ghisler.ch
This thread is particularly concerning: https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=23011

Such a basic functionality -- give user control over how they want to manage their files instead of enforcing them to confirm every operation. I respect that showing them by default is a safer option, but I refuse to believe there is no way disable them altogether.

In case Christian himself is reading this thread -- please resist an urge to play a "benevolent dictator", otherwise users will migrate to the software that allows to interact with computers according to their preferences, not your personal choice.

With regards.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Disable confirmations for Copy & Move

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Belive me or not but other users will not migrate for this reason.
I live with this restriction since Windows 3.11 times and it didn't bother me and I never lost a file.

You can set the Recycle Bin properties as you wish and use the context menu for delete.
This way you don't have any confirmation.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Horst.Epp,
You can set the Recycle Bin properties as you wish and use the context menu for delete.
How is this related to copy and move operations?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Hacker wrote: 2020-08-08, 11:47 UTC Horst.Epp,
How is this related to copy and move operations?

Roman
Not at all :cry:
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
arko

Post by *arko »

...any news? Ping @Ghisler(Author) ?..
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Offering this would be just careless. It would be more or less OK on a desktop where there is a gap between F4 and F5, but on a laptop where there is no gap, there is a big danger of hitting F5 instead of F4. And then you can start searching where all these files went...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
arko

Post by *arko »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-08-24, 14:43 UTC Offering this would be just careless. It would be more or less OK on a desktop where there is a gap between F4 and F5, but on a laptop where there is no gap, there is a big danger of hitting F5 instead of F4. And then you can start searching where all these files went...
I understand your concern, not showing confirmations by default can indeed cause a mix-up like you've mentioned.

But preventing a user from making their choice in such a basic function is undermining credibility of the application.

Total Commander, as I see it, gives users control over their files. "File manager that plays by your rules".

Introducing hard-coded behaviours like this one just erodes the core concept of the application.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

I understand your wish/suggestion, but can we please do with a little less of nebulous platitudes the like of "undermining credibility of the application", "file manager that plays by your rules", and "erodes the core concept of the application"?

You _feel_ having such a feature is important, so much is clear. But if platitudes is all you are having in support of the argument about the importance to be able to disable Copy/Move confirmations, well, that's not really much meat on the bones of your argument...
arko

Post by *arko »

elgonzo wrote: 2020-08-25, 08:33 UTC I understand your wish/suggestion, but can we please do with a little less of nebulous platitudes the like of "undermining credibility of the application", "file manager that plays by your rules", and "erodes the core concept of the application"?

You _feel_ having such a feature is important, so much is clear. But if platitudes is all you are having in support of the argument about the importance to be able to disable Copy/Move confirmations, well, that's not really much meat on the bones of your argument...
Hold on a minute. If I would translate "nebulous platitudes" into an English accessible to mere mortals like myself, it would be something akin of a "dubious cliche". How is this applicable to my post?

In this case, I infer credibility of application from its ability to do what is expected. Which is indeed "flexible file-wrangling that adapts to a particular user".
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

You can interpret as much as you like. Have at it. When i wrote "nebulous platitudes" i meant exactly that: nebulous platitudes. Total Commander is an orthodox file manager. Being an orthodox file manger, TC is doing exactly what is expected from an orthodox file manager. (Please stop with those nebulous platitudes, please. That said, I still appreciate that at least you put them in quotes...)
arko

Post by *arko »

elgonzo wrote: 2020-08-25, 10:20 UTC Total Commander is an orthodox file manager. Being an orthodox file manger, TC is doing exactly what is expected from an orthodox file manag
So what exactly are you proposing here, encapsulate what was done in the first decade of its development are refute any possibility of a dialogue? "Old better than new" as the dogma underlining the decision making?.. Personally, I doubt this is a viable path into future where users have a choice.

Speaking of which, I want to reiterate that the proposal is precisely about this - giving user a choice instead of imposing certain workflow on them.
HerbieH

Post by *HerbieH »

1) Could you please stop hammering other people's heads with language, normal people need to google to understand.

2) I totally agree with arko.

3) arko, don't be scared off. :) This forum is filled with comments from people, trying to tell you, that a good idea, like yours, is a bad idea, because they don't want to use that function themselves. - Maybe some have other ulterior motives, but those speculations are futile.

In my opinion, it won't start a third wave of covid-19 or kill off the entire planet, if you make a mistake because of a missing confirmation dialog,
BECAUSE you, of course, always make a backup of your important files. :roll:

Btw: This forum is one of the best on the internet, so bare with a few inapt remarks picked up from more obscure social media platforms

PS: I miss my mother's recipe of 'apple meringue' (don't know the correct English name) so I have made a backup of that, and hope I eventually will meet a person, who can delight my palate with this sublime delicacy from Funen. (Could not help myself.) :mrgreen:

..Greetings to you all from an elderly duck/buzzard
HerbieH*
-Keep on makin' music!