TC freezes after opening an image

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Thany

TC freezes after opening an image

Post by *Thany »

I'm using ACDsee32, which is a very old program, but it's the only one that agrees with me.

Since recently, I guess, when I open an image with it from TC, TC freezes for about 10 seconds. It doesn't matter if I close the app or leave it open to browse other images. It doesn't do that with any other file that opens with a different program, even other images that open with a different image viewer. Neither program is using any noticable CPU time, or disk I/O. I know this program is probably getting a bit "too old" sometimes, but should that make TC freeze? TC of all things?

I should probably take this up with the authors of ACDsee (is what you might be thinking), but they will not be supporting this version, I'm sure, and I really don't know where else to go with this problem. I've tried disabling the virusscanner and smartscreen, I've tried every combination of compatibility mode (and checked that they are indeed applied), but all to no avail. And of course I've tried the magical cure-all: a reboot.

But that's not the weirdest. The weirdest thing is that this *just* started happening. I haven't got the foggiest what could've possibly changed in between now and when it still worked fine, which in my mind was yesterday or the day before - something like that. It has been working fine for years and years and years without any problems whatsoever, so why now?
Total Commander 11 on Windows 10
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC freezes after opening an image

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

Does the image in ACDsee show up and then TC freezes, or does TC freeze before ACDsee is opening with the image?
bjornlq

Post by *bjornlq »

Interesting! For me TC hangs and says 'not responding' for about 4 secoonds after leaving ACDsee.
Initial testing seems to show that viewing a single image causes the issue, but if I go deeper into ACDsee to view all images in the current folder and then leave ACDsee that way, TC no longer hangs. Weird.

I run ACDsee 3.1 since forever. First time I have issues with it.
Thany

Post by *Thany »

@elgonzo
TC freezes immediately after ACDsee opens and stays like that for ~10 seconds.

@bjornlq
You seem to be describing the same issue. I think you simply take about 6 seconds to get ACDsee started, look at the image, and switch back to TC. Then, indeed, TC has 4 seconds left until it thaws :)
For me too, if I open an image and continue browsing in ACDsee, TC will unfreeze in the background (assuming, it's hard to know this for sure, since it doesn't using any CPU or anything), making it appear as if there isn't such a problem.
Total Commander 11 on Windows 10
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

I don't know how modern vesions of ACDSee behave (the last time i used ACDSee was when Windows XP was the current Win OS), so i am just trying to poke holes in the dark here:

1. What view mode for the folder with the images are you using? If it is thumbnail, preview or custom view mode, what happens if you switch to full or brief view mode before opening ACDSee? Are you still observing the freezes then?

2. If you open ACDSee with an image through TC's command line (not using TC's file panels), can you still observe the freezes?

2.1. Prior to opening ACDSee with an image through TC's command line, change both panels of TC to folders that are NOT the drive/folder with the image. Again, does it still freeze?
lezerogan2

Post by *lezerogan2 »

I suspect that this problem with ACDsee, and the post in https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72833, are similar to a problem I have in the last 3 weeks.
My problem is when I try seeing movies (MP4, AVI…) in my default player - BSPlayer (latest version 2.75), I get the same 10 sec of freezing.
I tried to run the same movies from windows explorer and got the same problem.
So I opened a case in BSPlayer forum http://forum.bsplayer.com/bug-reports-codecs/38039-explorer-becomes-unresponsive.html#post0.
Since the versions of TOTCMD and BSPlayer have not been change, I suspect that the latest build of windows 10 (3 weeks ago) did change something.
I have win 10 home 64 bit version 2004 build 19041.508 and TOTCMD 9.51 64 bit.
lezerogan2

Post by *lezerogan2 »

Today Microsoft updated windows 10 64bit version 2004 to -> build 19041.546, and it seems that the problem is solved