copy partial directory structure specified in a text file

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

OUrm7Vo2

copy partial directory structure specified in a text file

Post by *OUrm7Vo2 »

Let's say there is a directory structure with many subfolders and files. I want to copy only specific files and folders from that directory to a folder. I want to specify in a text file which files and folders to copy. The file spec can be relative or absolute paths, can contain wildcards, etc.

is that possible?
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: copy partial directory structure specified in a text file

Post by *white »

Perhaps not exactly what you want and perhaps not as powerful as you want, but you can search using a search list (read the help by pressing Alt+F7, F1). Then you can feed the results to the file panel and copy it to a folder.

If you want to keep the folder structure when copying search results, you need to enable the option "Keep relative paths". However when copying search results this option is limited to copying full paths. So you need to do some work afterwards in moving the desired folder up the tree.

(BTW. This thread is no longer locked and I removed your duplicate post in the other thread.)
OUrm7Vo2

Re: copy partial directory structure specified in a text file

Post by *OUrm7Vo2 »

2white:
Thank you for your input.

A simple program can be written to do this, which I'll write but I always try to consolidate all file management to TC but not always feasible.