[REQ] Tool to determine best copy method settings

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Diam0nd

Post by *Diam0nd »

Does anyone know if it's possible to somehow tweak the settings to achieve speeds comparable to TeraCopy? When using Total Commander I usually get around 12mbs, with TeraCopy I get 32mbs. A huge difference :(
Total Commander v8.50 b13 REGISTERED
Windows 8.1 Enterprise Vol. x64

Post by *Sticky »

It is a bummer that other software is able to use your same hardware and get much better results--Especially when we're all used to and comfortable with the queue and copy features of TC. That's the reason this thread was started.

Obviously this is a minor issue if you only work with small files but when you're copying hundreds or thousands of GBs daily, it makes a huge difference.
Richard Hoefer, some guy on the TeraCopy testimonials wrote:"Your app did in 30 hours what has been taking me weeks and weeks to do piecemeal at a time..."
I feel his pain.

When hardware was slow, coders scrutinized their work to make sure they were doing things in the most efficient way possible. As hardware has gotten faster and faster, software-side efficiencies often slip by the wayside. It's sufficient these days to get something working, not necessarily working well. (To be clear, I am not talking about Ghisler, he's one of the good guys! I'm ranting in general terms about the explosion of things that are neither efficient nor secure just for the ease of use of the coder. Javascript...etc. grumble grumble)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Support+++
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Thorz

Post by *Thorz »

+1

I would also like to see this kind of test utility done some day.
bobcputnam

Post by *bobcputnam »

I wonder how Teracopy optimizes the copy? Does it also have a problem with the SCSI controller?
Bob P