[REQ] Drag&Drop copies by default

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

XPEHOPE3KA wrote:No ambiguity there! You are configuring your wincmd.ini, so you know what D&D will do.
Sure, at this moment in time. But return to your desktop from a month abroad on business as many people do, possibly using different hardware and recall exactly how your D&D might have been reconfigured? Hmmm, no thanks.
XPEHOPE3KA wrote:Though, I think this option should not be accessible via options dialog - for a *little* care.
That is precisely why I object to these 'quiet' functions and hidden back doors! They are never clearly documented anywhere and over time only a few gurus ever remember that they exist, leading to constant "where is bla-bla" questions.

For a good demonstration, see the Opera .ini. Want to strike-thru rather than underline visited links? Sure you can do it, but good luck searching Opera's Help for assistance; you end up trawling the forums for the stealth config parameter. TC's 'RenameSelOnlyName' is also guilty of causing endless angst.

By adding hidden special tweaky functions I think you are doing newbies a disservice rather than helping them.
XPEHOPE3KA wrote:And yes, that will be very helpful for me as I shall keep my shift finger from paralyzing
D'OH! :!: All this just to avoid raising a finger? Presumably you're a right-hander and use the mouse to D&D with that hand - what then are you saving the left for? Are you multitasking with it? Picking your nose, raising glasses of beer (that's OK)? It's like being a pianist who insists on playing the entire piece using only his right hand while reserving the left for occasionally turning the pages of the score.

Take majki's (forgive me for shortening or mis-spelling your nick, majkinetor ! - I meant it in the nicest possible way... :wink: ) good advice and add a sticky to your Russian forum if you lose sleep over the newbies.
majkinetor ! wrote:- Kill all humans: bla bla bla
Is this the famous 2*(CTRL-ALT-DEL) six-finger salute? :lol:
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

And yes, that will be very helpful for me as I shall keep my shift finger from paralyzing
That was a joke, nevertheless I need the feature.
sticky to your Russian forum if you lose sleep over the newbies.
We have RUTCKB (RUssian Total Commander Knowledge Base) for that.
Hmmm, no thanks.
So don't use the feature if you can't remember for a month what your D&D do. Isn't it simple not to use the feature?
That is precisely why I object to these 'quiet' functions and hidden back doors! They are never clearly documented anywhere and over time only a few gurus ever remember that they exist, leading to constant "where is bla-bla" questions.
They always become documented with time in different expanded TC help files, like in Flint's Rus. package (BTW, I think it will be a good idea to translate its help file into english and ship with TC instead of default help file - in case if there's no expanded english help). Moreover all those hidden options can be found in one section - wincmd.ini file settings - and are underlined there.

BTW, if Mr. Ghisler makes all wincmd.ini settings be configurable via options dialog, don't you think it will be messy a little? For configuring hidden options one can always use TweakTC and russian newbies know about that program, so no disservice for them.
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

.....nevertheless I need the feature.
Ah, good, so we can leave the newbies out of the equation then. Rather than inflict this feature upon TC's .ini, have you considered activating Window's 'sticky keys' function? This would hold down your <shift> key for as long as needed while you go about your heavy D&D+move activities. Just turn it off when you're done.
.. Isn't it simple not to use the feature?
BTW, if Mr. Ghisler makes all wincmd.ini settings be configurable via options dialog, don't you think it will be messy a little?
Indeed it would. Don't you feel that it would be even better if features of dubious merit were omitted altogether from the user interface? After all, Michelangelo's David sculture wasn't created by adding even more material to the masterpiece, right? Shouldn't we work towards approaching that ideal?
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

Ah, good, so we can leave the newbies out of the equation then.
I haven't told that - I even can't figure out how you got this from my post.
have you considered activating Window's 'sticky keys' function?
Considered it just - it is as incovinient as trying to reach a little toe with a mouth! If this feature is implemented, I shall need to keep in mind what does my D&D do - one thing, if to use sticky keys I need to remember if my shift is pressed ALL THE TIME, not only after I return to my desktop after a month abroad on business. Windows also notifies me each time I press shift 5 times - dunno if it can be disabled. And I'm not able to use sticky keys at my university - admins there disabled them for some reason.
Don't you feel that it would be even better if features of dubious merit were omitted altogether from the user interface?
You call that "dubious merit"?! I call that "can be of value for some users and is easy to implement imho"! If Mr. Ghisler had never implemented such features, TC wouldn't be so popular (imho again). Here and there in TC I see some small features which are obvious for any user. If you D&D a file, it's like you get something(=file) to your hand(=mouse cursor) and bring it to some other place(=destination of D&D) - it's obvious that after this job you won't have two "somethings" in source and destination - you cannot replicate things with your own hands by only dragging them to another place!
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

[quote=""XPEHOPE3KA"]I haven't told that - I even can't figure out how you got this from my post.[/quote]
Well, simply by reading between the lines and putting 2 'n' 2 together since you said:
Moreover all those hidden options can be found in one section - wincmd.ini file settings - and are underlined there.
one can always use TweakTC and russian newbies know about that program, so no disservice for them.
2all: Remember, newbies are not too stupid
Correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds to me like your newbies are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves?
If you D&D a file, it's like you get something(=file) to your hand(=mouse cursor) and bring it to some other place(=destination of D&D) - it's obvious that after this job you won't have two "somethings" in source and destination
Afraid I have to disagree with you there, XPEHOPE3KA. I often back up important files to an external drive by D&D and I do want two "somethings" to continue to exist in both source and destination. By definition, I want a back up, not a move - so your "obvious" is not necessarily another's "obvious". As implemented now in TC, there is no ambiguity as to what happens when I D&D simply because no other option is admissible.
admins there disabled them for some reason.
Yeah, they're a real pain in the behind is the reason. :lol:
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

SQUIRE wrote:
XPEHOPE3KA wrote:I haven't told that - I even can't figure out how you got this from my post.

Well, simply by reading between the lines and putting 2 'n' 2 together since you said:
Moreover all those hidden options can be found in one section - wincmd.ini file settings - and are underlined there.
one can always use TweakTC and russian newbies know about that program, so no disservice for them.
2all: Remember, newbies are not too stupid
Correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds to me like your newbies are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves?
Ha, you quoted instead all of that:
.....nevertheless I need the feature.
... and expected me to understand your way of understanding me? :wink:
Ok, I meant really that some newbies can take care of themselves, while the other part can't for the FIRST time, but after that they will care.
I often back up important files to an external drive by D&D and I do want two "somethings" to continue to exist in both source and destination.
Do you D&D to a disk button or to the other panel? If latter then why not to use F5, if former then TC always copies to root - can't satisfy me and others probably.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

What we already have now is:

1. Plugins on several places out there. No "tracker" for plugins standardised.
2. 3 forums here, 1 there and 1 there.... what a desorganised garbage & waste of knowledge. No FAQ on the forum for tipical problems with yellow dots and TC advanced functions.
3. Original help and much better & updated Russian help
4. No bug tracking, wish list tracking and anything serious which will make people return to that place giving good sugestions, reporting bugs and beeing informed that they didn't just feed the black hole and what is response for their requests.
5. robots lurking around....

So, I would say that this is typical example of exponentialy growing complexity.
Habemus majkam!
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

Do you D&D to a disk button or to the other panel? If latter then why not to use F5, if former then TC always copies to root - can't satisfy me and others probably.
As I said earlier, I use the mouse and/or function keys interchangeably depending on what I had for breakfast that morning. And I could equally say to you 'why not use F6 always'?

Anyway, to end this circular discussion, allow me to summarise:

[1] You want this feature

[2] Overwhelming support is conspicuous by its absence

[3] It's not about you, me, or whether the moon is made of green cheese, it's Ghisler's call and I very much doubt if this feature is on his To-Do list.

[4] The interesting point that has surfaced in this thread is that the Russian Help appears to be more advanced than TC's own effort.

[5] Since you're at university with nothing much to do except drink vodka and (yum!) chase delicious newbie girls :mrgreen: , perhaps you'd be kind enough to translate and make the valuable parts available, maybe on the English Wiki? TIA.
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

2m*
What does your post have to deal with the topic?
what a desorganised garbage & waste of knowledge.
if you knew how right are you...
what a desorganised garbage & waste of knowledge.
but what a great space for your offtop job, m*.

Ok, back to topic.
Me wrote:If he needs copying to another drive/partition, he usually opens target on the opposite panel. And then what?? Use D&D?? Why if you can always use F5?
This statement wasn't perfectly true. Imagine that you have one "dump" folder and want to backup(=copy) it to some organized structure. So you open it as source and open folder containing that organized structure as destination. In this case you will *need* to use D&D to copy to destination's *subfolders*, not F5.
So my request transforms to another one: maybe let's have a command for changing D&D behaviour?
A command cannot be hidden and doesn't occupy space in options dialog. You will always know what D&D does, no matter how long haven't you been close to your desktop, just because D&D should copy right after you start TC.
2karlchen&m*&all
Tell me, what do you think now.

2SQUIRE
Since you're at university with nothing much to do except drink vodka
I don't drink any stiff drinks, even milk and lemonade - it all harms health.
If you, ****** ******* Englishman will ever again even think about Russians that they are ALL vodka drunkers (why did you think I have nothing to do at my university except drinking vodka and blablabla - the only reason for that thought was actually that you think all of us are lazy stupid drunkers, wasn't it?), I shall tore your head off and pull it to your *******, then turn it round there three times and be glad for the rest of my life!
Never trust ANY nation characteristics which are obviously tied to your mind by your country's educational system and/or newspapers, TV channels, etc. They are usually not applicable to each and every nation representative.

To other statements from your message:
[1] - not only I want this feature, I've already daid who else.
[2] - stupid me couldn't translate it into russian.
[3] - let's see what Ghisler will answer. Dunno if he has read this thread already.
[4] - true.
[5] -
you'd be kind enough to translate and make the valuable parts available, maybe on the English Wiki?
since what you have told and how have I responded I would guess I get banned and therefore will not be able to. BTW, I have lots to do at my university (it's a university - not a school, college, etc. - it is a SERIOUS where the most students pay much attention to their education) - no time for the WIKI.

[mod]No insults, threatening, etc.

Thanks
Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

Since you're at university with nothing much to do except drink vodka and (yum!) chase delicious newbie girls :mrgreen:
XPEHOPE3KA XPEHOPE3KA, XPEHOPE3KA, it was a joke....J-O-K-E, get it? Repeat: J-O-K-E. See this icon :mrgreen: ? Know what it means?

Dear oh dear, where is your sense of humour? Now I'm not surprised that you had to ask majkinetor ! what he means when he says 'you are funny'.

Do I have to explain that stereotypes are a great source of laughs the world over? From English 'ros beefs' who supposedly only bath once a year, to garlic frog-eating French, to Germans who allegedly have no sense of humour..... the list goes on and on. No offence is ever intended, how on earth could you misinterpret that?

To fly completely off the handle like you have done is truly quite astonishing! It appears I may have misjudged your command of English in an English-language forum.

I don't think you'll be banned - worse things have been said here - but really man, quit being so serious (not even milk and lemonade?) and Lighten Up :!:
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

See this icon :mrgreen:
if you've placed it right after word "vodka", I don't know what I would have done then.
Do I have to explain that stereotypes are a great source of laughs the world over? From English 'ros beefs' who supposedly only bath once a year, to garlic frog-eating French, to Germans who allegedly have no sense of humour..... the list goes on and on. No offence is ever intended, how on earth could you misinterpret that?
"Laughs"?? Laugh at yourself, if you want. Oh, yes, maybe I was misleaded by my own stereotypes.
worse things have been said here
Really? Where?
not even milk and lemonade?
doctors prohibited ANY stiff and energy drinks for me. :)

P.S.1: why did you change your signature right now and namely for that? Hope that's not connected with my post.
P.S.2:
and Lighten Up
quit being so serious
What I write in english seems to be serious - but in russian I speak (and sometimes write) in more alive way. That's because I don't know english so well for making really english sentences as yours - yours are short and use all language resources, mine are long and awkward.
But isn't it a user support forum?? Where users *should* write as precisely as possible in order to receive a precise answer as fast as possible just to continue their *work*, which was suddenly interrupted by some TC bug, or a user wants an option which will save him great time in his *work*.
TC isn't a parrot, not a game also. I thought there should be no jokers like majkinetor (finally learnt how to write it fast and correct :)), and now you, SQUIRE. I thought also that these requests should be considered without that kind of jokes.
Ok, you are forgiven, but I won't ask for excuse for what I have said.
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

Mighty generous of you to have calmed down and forgiven me, pardner; likewise, I take no offence at your faux pas (that's meant to be ironic, btw).
if you've placed it right after word "vodka"
There has been a tongue-in-cheek debate in IIRC The Register about whether a special 'joke' icon ought to be designed and liberally used wherever humour is intended - specially for those who simply don't 'get it'. :wink:
.. Laugh at yourself, if you want
I do, and many of the regular posters here don't take themselves too seriously either, as you would know if you had lurked here a little longer.
Really? Where?
Just search the board with keyword 'majkinetor !' and read the early posts. :lol:
P.S.1: why did you change your signature right now and namely for that? Hope that's not connected with my post.
Sorry to disappoint you you, my young Jedi, but my sig varies with the weather and probably the phase of the moon.
... these requests should be considered without that kind of jokes.
You'll soon discover that there are two camps here - one wanting strictly business, the other craving off-topic fun. :wink:
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

SQUIRE wrote:You'll soon discover that there are two camps here - one wanting strictly business, the other craving off-topic fun. :wink:
And some enjoying both. :twisted:

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

Heh, heh, sorry Sheepdog, I forgot the DMZ! :lol:
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

2X99

>>doctors prohibited ANY stiff and energy drinks for me.

Doctors know shit.
Tell me your blood type and I will tell you what to eat & drink and what to avoid.

Seriously X99, don't be such a negative energy here ... we mean you no harm. We, on TC planet, are peaceful species. We all have pets, we all bring flowers to our neighbor grandmaa's. Have you seen any evil soul doing that ?

I clearly don't want to teach you how to think, but if this is something different from what you expected on first visit, it is really your fault. I learned long time ago not to expect.
Habemus majkam!