RAR extra functionality

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

RAR extra functionality

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]Among others RAR 3.20 has one very useful and long-awaited (at least by me) function:

_________transmission_from_WhatsNew.txt___________

3. It is possible to rename files inside of RAR archives.
[^Y]
In the command line mode you may use 'rn' command for this purpose.

_______________end_of_transmission________________

I think it would be a (very) good idea to add this functionality support to Commander along with subdirs files adding and scanning for readme.txt, fileid.diz etc. in Quick View mode.
Actually, subdirs files adding supported by RAR from v2.50 i.e. (very) long time ago. It would be really useful, 'cause AFAIK RAR is inet #2 compression format. Well, you know...[/face]
Innuendo

Post by *Innuendo »

I'd love to have this feature added to TC.

I use RAR archives more than any other archive format.
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

The bad thing about renaming files in archives, is that if you change the length of the filename, the entire file has to be rewritten from the point of that file header. This is quite annoying with 700 mb rar files, and the file is stored in the begining.

So if I have to give a good advice, rename the files before you pack them. But then again the feature is nice to have, but I would still rename them before I pack.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 07-06-2003 13:26:59 +0000 Aezay wrote:

A> The bad thing about renaming files in archives, is that if
A> you change the length of the filename, the entire file has
A> to be rewritten from the point of that file header.

The thing is you ALREADY have this functionality for ZIP, RAR supports the same one, so I can't see any bad thing about implementing it for RAR too. The one who need it will use it. Or did I missed something, Aezay friend? :)[/face]
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

[face=courier]Black Dog> The thing is you ALREADY have this functionality for ZIP, RAR supports the same one, so I can't see any bad thing about implementing it for RAR too. The one who need it will use it. Or did I missed something, Aezay friend? :)[/face]

I support this feature too, but my point is that renaming files within archives, requires a complete rewrite of the file from the offset of that header, some may not realize that. If the files are already packed, this feature could save you from re-packing the entire archive.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 08-06-2003 02:04:44 +0000 Aezay wrote:

A> I support this feature too

:)

A> but my point is that renaming files within archives, requires
A> a complete rewrite of the file from the offset of that header

...like any other archive operation like files update, remove or delete for example. So I just can't understand what exactly trouble you in this particular case. This is just a standard functionality almost all "big" archivers have. Period. :)

A> some may not realize that

...as well as any other archive modification actions consequences. What's the difference exactly in this case?

A> If the files are already packed, this feature could save you
A> from re-packing the entire archive.

The presence or the absence of this feature could do it, Aezay friend? :)[/face]
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

I support all the wishes Black Dog made in the first post. RAR is very very nice tool but not convenient to work with it from TC...