bass/drum heavy mp3s not played correctly in internal lister

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

f.e

bass/drum heavy mp3s not played correctly in internal lister

Post by *f.e »

hi guys,
i've got this problem since few days back. any bass or drum sounds get distorted (real ugly way if you ask me) using internal lister. i've used it with no probs before (fwiw it's TC 5.51). playing those mp3s in media player 6.4 and 7.0 is ok (not to mention winamp), so page http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient&hl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eghisler%2Ech%2Fboard%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Ft%3D728%26highlight%3Dmp3 (sorry, had to translate) doesn't offer any help. do you have any clues on what should i check, which file may be the root cause of problem?
tia,
f.e
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

IIRC TC uses internal routines to play media files (unless you installed a plugin in which case you'll have to ask the author of the plugin), by internal I mean the ones available through media player but not the wmplayer.exe but rather mplayer2.exe (try typing it in the run box) and play the file using it, it should sound the same.

BTW are you certain it sounded different with an older version? If yes than it's probably a plugin. Either way try installing an older version and see what happens (some other component in your system might have changed).

Cheers.
f.e

Post by *f.e »

oh my bad - mplayer2.exe really sounds screwed exactly the same way. i know i've had no probs running 5.51 some time ago so *some* component within mplayer2 must have changed. which one it is?
f.e
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

That's hard to tell, check the following:
1. New drivers (sound card) ...
2. Did you install lately any filters/codecs (divx, aac, ...)
3. What did you install lately?
4. Given the problem is unrelated to TC try m$ newsgroups.

Cheers.
f.e

Post by *f.e »

thx for your help. in the meantime i tried the following:
1) reinstalling audio driver - no help
2) re-installing windvd 4.0 - that did it :) ividblabla.ax was the problem.
next step i was about to take was reinstalling direct x.
thx again for your moral support 8)
f.e