Thanks - Upgrade Policy

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

TomFrank

Thanks - Upgrade Policy

Post by *TomFrank »

Christian,

As an owner of Total Commander (previously Windows Commander) since 2000 I would like to say a Big THANK YOU for your upgrade policy - no charge for previous owners. I can think of no other piece of software that I use every day that has been as valuable to me as Total Commander.

Thanks again

Tommy
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

We can offer this because we get enough new orders to make a living. It's also in our benefit, because we can ask users to update for free in case of problems with an old version which have been fixed in the meantime.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Elendacil

Post by *Elendacil »

I can safely say that I wouldn't have purchased Total Commander if it weren't for its great upgrade policy. I know I'm cheap and should really work on that side of my personality, but I can't help it!

So, a big thank you to Christian from me as well. :) Great software, with great upgrade policy. :)
Phred

Re: Thanks - Upgrade Policy

Post by *Phred »

I wonder if anything's significantly changed in the last 13 years, technology and software being what they are.

Would it not be fair to the author(s) to at last charge for this upgrade to Vn 10?

Even Steve Gibson is finally, after more than a couple of decades, charging for the imminent release of SpinRite 6.1 for holders of pre-6.0 licences. He feels it's been long enough.

I've been advocating for an elegant 'recognition token' in our title bars via our .key files for donations - primarily because donations are hard to keep track of.
I notice that there's a third-party PayPal extension that keeps record of and even makes regular payments from our PayPal accounts, but I haven't tried it yet. Bona fides unknown.
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Phred,
Well, Christian has stated a few times that instead of paying him more he'd rather like the users to donate to a charity of their choosing if they have the money to spend. I think nothing more needs to be said.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Woailizhi

Post by *Woailizhi »

A man of virtue!
I am very grateful to MR Christian for upgrading the Total COmmander to support blind operation more.

With best regards,
Nuno.

With eterenal love to history and China.
Phred

Post by *Phred »

Hacker wrote: 2021-04-15, 21:46 UTC Phred,
Well, Christian has stated a few times that instead of paying him more he'd rather like the users to donate to a charity of their choosing if they have the money to spend. I think nothing more needs to be said.

Roman
A little misdirection there I think, Roman. I haven't seen Author Ghisler's statements to that effect, I must admit, but I'd expect that more funds would find their way to charities from a central collector than via the apathy and unaccountability of diverse 'donors'.

I respectfully maintain my suggestion. It's been long enough, hasn't it?
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Phred,
I haven't seen Author Ghisler's statements to that effect
Well, it might have been stated in the old forum (which is now gone). The only thing I found on this forum is Panos's statement here. I am sure Christian can confirm / clarify.
If you really wish to support Christian rather than a charity, or if you don't really believe my statement, you can certainly e.g. buy a second licence or more.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
WillCAD

Post by *WillCAD »

I will add my thanks to Christian for his continuing upgrade policy.

It is astonishing to me that he not only does not charge a fee for upgrades, but that he continues to develop Total Commander by adding new features so often. It's been more than twenty years since I originally purchased Windows Commander (I think it was 1997 or 1998), and it is still the most used program I own. I use it more than any other piece of software I've ever had, and it is still superior in every way to the file managers included with Windows and Android.

I still use the old blue and white color scheme originated in the DOS Norton Commander, though. I'm a creature of habit. Maybe I'll try something different after my next upgrade, just to break up the monotony of my rigid adherence to long-standing personal habits. :-)
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. - John Connor